DWP address confusion – should I be worried?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Quick background: I received PIP whilst at university, a few months later and I moved back home as I was too ill to continue my course (May 2017). As soon as I moved home, I claimed for ESA and asked them to update my details at the same time. This was all confirmed to me, and as my ESA letters arrived to the correct address I thought nothing more of it (I assumed that the databases were all interlinked). Fast forward to yesterday, when I got a call saying that a PIP letter had been returned to DWP and could I confirm my address. The operator thought I was still in my university town but also seemed to have my current address. 

She said that it is all updated and that she has added a note explaining what happened, but I'm extremely worried now that they are going to accuse me of not reporting a change in circumstance.

Should I call back to confirm my details have been updated? Would explaining make things worse?

Thank you in advance, I'm so frightened.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I can't see there be any issues with this BUT when you do change address you should always ring everyone and not just assume the address will automatically update on all systems. The only ones that update all systems are HMRC with tax credits and child benefit.

You were very lucky that it wsn't a review form that was sent to you. If it was then they could have stopped your benefits if that form wasn't returned in time. If this had happened then the you would have had to have gone down the MR and possible Tribunal route to get your PIP back.  I think you can thank your lucky stars that the uni returned the letter to DWP. If it was sent to a different address you may not have been so lucky.

Change of address is not classed as change of circumstances. It's simply a change of address.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

I don't know what the letter involved – should I have asked? Or will they likely just send it on to me? My PIP has been awarded until December 2019 so I'm not sure what they wanted to contact me about in the first place. I'm so worried they'll pursue it further!

• Posted

You're welcome.

The only way to find out what the letter was for is to ring them back. Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end so it shouldn't be anything to do with that. They are closed now but open again tomorrow morning at 8. Ring then to find out out.

• Posted

Thank you, I'll do that and double check everything has updated properly at the same time!

• Posted

I done the same as you I haven't gotten into trouble for it they just explained there systerms arnt linked so in the future id need to call them aswell just so its all up todate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.