DWP at Belfast.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

Just had a letter today from her Maj at DWP at Belfast informing me my benefit is about to cease being put into the post office. I am now advised to put it into the bank. If I do that, and I have a query in future bout my benefits in the bank who do I query? The DWP or the bank? Will the DWP then have access to my bank account like they do with my post office account now? Ian.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The same as now Ian.   The Post office and banks work in exactly the same way.  x 

• Posted

Hello hypercat.

Still not sure I understand it right. Do you mean if I have a bank account with say £500 in it, then decide on having my benefit paid into same bank account, the government have access to all knowledge of monies in the bank account, or can the bank refuse the information of all money or just what shows on the banks accounts as BENEFITS money and not anything else? Do you get my meaning? Ian x

• Posted

No the DWP will not have any idea what you have in your bank. If DWP have knowledge that anyone is commiting fraud then they have ways and means of finding things out but i have no idea what and how. You can have £6000 in savings anyway when claiming benefits before it affects what you can claim. Either way you need a bank account to have your money paid into.

• Posted

Hi yes Denise is right.  If you are suspected of fraud they would ask you to take your most recent bank statements in so they could go through it.  I do know they have the power if they need it of making the back give them details of all accounts,  statments etc.  but it's something they would need to justify and they don't do it as a matter of course.  Only if they have reason to be suspicious of you for some reason.  x

• Posted

When making enquires about any benefits it's always DWP you ring anyway and not the bank. DWP pay the benefits not a bank.

• Posted

The reason I ask is because of something I enquired about about, around 2 1/2 years ago. since then didn't give it much thought till today. Believe it or not it was Saturday. Till then I'd no idea DWP were open on Saturday. The girl at P.O. assured me they were. That day also I had letter from DWP saying all sorts in their jargon hence my call to them. The lady was extremely polite and patient. She talked me through my letter. The letter confirmed every date day time of transaction ( none) and money received by post office concerning me.in other words money in from benefit and money left in by me. albeit only £10 a fortnight. My point is when in a P.o. account is it the government business or not? Isn't the fact the lady knew about my personal account proof to me of an infringement of my rights. I can only assume if I'm on benefits and put my money in bank the DWP can do the same. So because I'm on benefits and have a bank account they can go through my account? I DREAM constantly of the day I have that kind of money to make them worry about me... Anyone know how a certain bhs man doing these days? 😉

• Posted

I've never had a post office account so have no idea sorry. As for bank accounts like i said unless there was any reason to suspect fraud then it's none of their business what someone has in their bank. Sorry i can't help you anymore.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.