DWP Medical

Posted , 8 users are following.

I went to my DWP Medical at long last on Friday.  I worked myself up for a few weeks over it, and made myself 10 times worse.  How silly i was, because the man I saw was the nicest I've ever come across at the dreaded DWP office.  He was kind, unjudgemental and very nice and supportive to me.  It was late afternoon, which is when I look my utmost worst and when I got home afterwards, I was physically and mentally drained and just got into bed.  It took me all day yesterday to get over it too.

I feel very positive about it though, and feel sure that he will put me onto the Support Group for ESA - which is obviously where I belong.  I have been in the Work-related ESA group since June 2013, but i spend most days in the week in bed or having to lie down, so there's sadly no way I could hold down any kind of job. I feel very sheepish about not working, especially because most people make me feel dreadful about not working.  I have over 36 years of full-time work behind me, often holding down 2 jobs throughout the 1990's, so I shouldn't be made to feel guilty, but i can't help it, especially as I come from a work-ethic family. I was told it'll take 2 to 3 weeks for my outcome to go through, but I honestly feel that it went in my favour.  However, watch this space!!!!! If I have failed, I will HAVE to appeal.  But I hope it doesn't come to that as I couldn't go through with it alone.

Best wishes to everyone else who is put through this awful experience, and even more best wishes to everyone with this dreadful illness, which of course, can attack anyone at any time.

I love this website because everyone is the same boat and is very supportive.  thank you to everyone. xx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there (and to everyone else),

I have been off the site for sometime now as I have had personal family issues which have had an impact on my health unfortunately.  However, I have tried to log on and read up on some of the discussions.

I am so pleased your interview went well, good for you.  I appreciate how you feel because I feel exactly the same that people, even family look at me and think you could be working.  I am 51 and have worked 34 years and never been unemployed until 2014.  I had a major relapse in 2013 and was very ill.  Long story short I had a wonderful boss who understood my illness and could not be more supportive.  He left and the woman who took his place did not even register the fact that I had a CFS/ME.  So it came about I was working unsupported and having to take more time of sick.  I was then brought before a capability assessment and the organisation tried hard to get rid of me because of my sick leave.  However, I opted to take redundancy as the whole department was going through a re-organisation at the time and it seemed the easiest thing for me to do as I could not take anymore stress.  However, too little to late.  I was so ill.  I had to have counselling, CBT and anything else that was offered to me.  It was a mine field for me to work through the benefit system and if it had not been for a close friend and work colleague, I think I would have failed.  However, I managed to get PIP, and ESA and was placed in the support group this year, and yes I worked myself up into a state as well.  Like you I spend most of my days in the house or bed, depending on how things are.  If I manage to get out I which is rare then I pay for it within in day or two and become bedbound.  Some people are just clue less and you try and explain and you can tell they either don't believe you or think you are milking it.  I know it is horrible, but sometimes I just wish they could feel how we feel.  I curl myself up some days with a heat pad and cry with pain, but they don't see that.

I too am struggling with not working, and get very lonely being at home all day by myself.  I suppose I am one of the lucky ones as I have a husband and have company when he finishes work.  I do miss the hum-drum of the office though as I am a people's person and talking to the cat does not quite cut it for me although I love him dearly.

Fingers crossed you get in the support group and if you don't then don't give in we are all right behind you.

Best wishes

Txx

• Posted

Hi Tina,

thank you for your kind words and support.  You poor thing, it sounds like things have been horrible for you lately.  I hope that it's all now sorted and that you can get on with looking after yourself and trying to get better.

I agree, it is SO lonely at home isn't it.  I've always been very shy, but i do love to be with people, especially in the work environment, i really do miss it like you too.

My sister had cancer and was made redundant from work too - she took voluntary redundancy because her workplace of 30 years, was very nasty to her.  Anyway, she phones me every other day to make sure I am okay, and tries to take me out in her car once a week. Some of the time, I am too poorly to get ready or go out, but I love to try hard to be able to get out. Whenever i have to get buses, I am an absolute wreck when I get back home and collapse in bed for the next 2, 3 or 4 days. So when my sister drives me out into the countryside and maybe for a cuppa somewhere, it is really lovely.

But like you, I am usually very lonely most of the time. I don't have a husband or boyfriend, but have my TV or radio for company.  I have pals coming round sometimes but they have their own lives and most of them are working. Sometimes however, I just want to be on my own as i don't have the energy to chat, I expect you feel that way too, don't you. Like you say, animals though gorgeous, don't give you the company that a human can!!!  Saying that, I'd love to be able to have a cat in my flat (that rhymes!!!!).

I'm glad to hear that you got the PIP and ESA Support Group too, you very much deserve it after what you've endured.

Thank you so much again for your well wishes and genuine support, it really means a lot to me and helps me be more positive and strong-willed!!  Take care, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.