DX: Diverticulitis...I am feeling quilty and overwhelmed.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dec 20th, feeling pain center, lower abdomen, sharp, stabbing and intermitting (right at the pubis area) Additional intermittent pain to lower right quadrant, again, stabbing and sharp. That first night stayed in bed in a fetal position in tears. Fever started and went as high as 102*. Next morning, I knew I had to go to the ER. Lots of blood work was done and an ABD CT w/contrast. Bloodwork came in normal, for the most part, BUT CT showed Diverticulitis. I was shocked. I eat better than anyone I know, tons of fiber, kale, quinoa, oatmeal flax..the works. I was sent home with Cipro and Flagil for 10 days. Ironically enough, in 4 days, I had a colonoscopy ALREADY scheduled (from months ago) Perfect timing. I called the Dr.'s office immediately to let them know that I had been in the ER (different hospital) and advised his office nurse of findings. She said it should be no problem because I would have been on antibiotics long enough for some healing changes to have taken place. I go in for my prescheduled colonoscopy, and my Dr. say's yes..I, in fact, have Diverticulitis. While in recovery, pain begins again in lower abdomen and nausea kicks in big time. He orders ANOTHER CT w/contrast and sees the same things that the report from the other hospital ER reported. I am then admitted to the hospital, with IV antibiotics, NPO (nothing by mouth) given morphine for pain and there I was for 24 hours. I vomited, constantly, until I suggested taking me off the Zofran and try Fenergan..viola! No more nausea...at this point it is all about the tenderness in the intestines. I could not even touch lightly with my own hand without discomfort. Everything else felt fine. No pain unless touched. No appetite. Clear liquid diet ordered, but I had difficulty eating ANY of it. I told the doc that after this round of antibiotics, I was going home..reluctantly, he allowed me to go, once the fluids were finished. Once home, I stayed on liquid diet, had another round of Cipro and Flagil, filled at the pharmacy and I am still in bed. I am now at the 2-week mark. I have gone out a couple times, but I am drained quickly of energy. Tenderness to my intestinal area is still present but greatly decreased. I am eating only soft foods, still. Follow up with the Dr. is Jan 4th. Today is New Years Day. Feeling a bit depressed about not being able to participate like I would like to have in our Christmas family get-together. Now I worry about the mounting hospital bills that will be coming in soon. This is so very overwhelming. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear your holidays were ruined.  Diverticular Disease is nasty but you are in the right place here to get plenty of helpful advice and information.  I'm afraid it takes 4 - 6 weeks to get over most attacks, both from the actual infection, the inflammation and the strong side effects of the drugs.  You will probably continue to feel sore and washed out during this time.  It sounds like you are on the right soft low fibre diet and your insides healing as the pain decreases. 

I read a recent article which discussed the causes of DD and it is not just a low fibre diet, but other factors including genetics, and other medical conditions.  I too followed a high fibre diet but the trick now is to eat soluble fibre, not insoluble, once you have this disease.  There are lots of posts advising you on diet, but everyone is different and you have to find what you can and can't eat without triggering an attack.  I can't eat gluten/wheat or full fat.  For others it can be nuts, seeds, popcorn, dairy, red meat - all sorts of things.  Because everyone is different, doctors bland one size fits all advice is useless.  You can get a daily stool softener which bulks and softens stools, makes them pass easier thus prevents matter getting trapped and set up a new infection.  A good probiotic will help replace the good bacteria wiped out by the medications, along with the bad bacteria.  I have been managing the disease for almost 17 years with diet and a stool softener, and had just 3 flares in the first 14 years. 

As you are in the USA you might get pushed towards surgery.  Here in the UK they don't operate except as a last resort, or for life threatening complications.  You need to do your own research if pushed but I would say - DON'T unless essential (and because it's VERY expensive), if you can control with diet and medication.  Best wishes.

• Posted

@felinia. Thank you for a wonderful and informative response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.