Dyna Splint Brace

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone- I am J-21370 and have joined the group a couple months ago. Have received lots of good information that has been very helpfu since I have been having problems with the bend. I am 8 months Post TKR. I went to the doctor and he wanted me to see one of his collegues to see how they can help me since I am too far for a manipulation at least where I had my surgery. The surgeon recommended the Dyna Slpint Brace - one for the bend and one for the extension. The one for the bend I need to wear it 3 times a day for 1 hour each time. And the one for the extension need to sleep with it for at least 5 hours every night. My bend is about 110 and the flexion is between 2 and 3.

I would like to know has anyone has ever used this type of brace and has it work for them. My concern is that I am 8 months post op. Please let me know. I appreciate everyone out there with all the advice that they always provide. A milion thanks.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your range of motion sounds good to me! Cannot get what the problem is!
  • Posted

Hi

I'm not that far post op yet - but good luck with the braces keep us posted

• Posted

Your bend is adequate for every day, extension could be a little better. Do you still limp when you walk? If so then you need to work on extension.

Not too sure about the brace though. Could you have a word with the secretary of your consultant surgeon & ask for advice? Or alternatively ask for referral to physiotherapy, GPs are good but an orthopod or physio would give better advice.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

You don't mention age or reason for tkr (OA, injury, etc). Working on the extension is the most important aspect t as without straight you are more apt to limp which can cause back and hip issues down line. I know surgeons that would consider 110 good depending on the above listed circumstances. A couple of exercises for helping the extension: lay on you back with your head raised slightly by a pillow, roll a small towel and put it under your ankles its 23rd to 3 inches off the bed. Gently tighten all the muscles in the leg which will in turn force the back of the knee towed the bed. Hold to count of 10, relax and repeat 10 times. Gradually increase count to 15 and repeat 15 x's. Do a set of 3.

2nd one:

Lay face down on bed with leg hanging off at the knee. Let gravity take over and the leg will straighten on its own. Hold for count of ten, relax and repeat 5 times Gradually increasing to 10 and set of 3.

I think you will pick up a couple degrees in a week or 2.

Still not sure why the Dr is so anxious for that much more bend unless you are very young and engaged in athletic activities. The important thing is to keep working at it. I've hE 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehab, the last 2 years ago. I still work on it continually to some degree. If I don't, I will go backwards in a hurry. zBTW I'm 80 and been fighting this trap 15 yesrd

• Posted

I had a TKR on the 13th Feb 2016 so that makes me 17month Post Op.

I can honestly say it's been the worst thing I ever did in my whole life!

I am now practically crippled from the experience and would gladly trade the pain back which I could semi manage with creams and painkillers in place of the deterioration of my general health.

I have just undergone aspiration which is when they drain fluid off from around the knee. That was ok for a week or two but now I'm back with the fluid building up again.

The next thing he wants to try is resurfacing the knee cap.

Another operation which I am beginning to dread health wise. Where will it all end??

• Posted

Hello. I just saw this post and was wondering how your ROM is now. I also have to use the Dynasplint

Brace. I went from a -6 or a -7 on straightening to about -3 to a -4 now. It's still not a 0. I'm supposed to wear it 6 hours a day but I average about 3-4 hours. The pt says she can tell the tissues are softer and I should be happy and keep working at it.

How has your progress been lately??

• Posted

Sorry - I was going through my posts and saw that you asked a question. I have no problem with the straightening of the knee or leg. Still have problems with the bend. Will write to you and let you know after I see my surgeon next week. I know that he will measure and will advice whether the brace is helping or not. Take care J-21370
    • Posted

Thank you for getting back to me. I just saw my surgeon yesterday, 11 weeks, and I'm still using the brace. At 6 weeks I was -8 and today I am -5. (-4 on a good day). He said to use it for one more month. I go back to work tomorrow too. I'm trying not to worry as I wish my leg was straighter... But on we go, right. One day at a time. smile

Let me know how you're appt goes. Good luck!

💜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.