Dyshidrotic eczema. Skin around fingertip won't heal. Raw and sensitive feeling

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the past 7 weeks or so, I was dealing with a fungal infection on my left index finger, which I hope is gone (doctor said it was). I was then diagnosed with dyshidrotic eczema last week. The skin around my fingertip is raw, tender, and sensitive and feels weird if I put any pressure on it. Will my skin ever grow back? How long will it take? It's been at least 3.5 weeks since I have been having this problem. I'm feeling hopeless at this point and worried I won't ever be able to play guitar again. I can't tell where my "healthy" skin ends or begins. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey! 

I'm so sorry to hear about your condition, I've been diagnosed with DE too other than having atopic dermatitis my whole life. From my own experiences, the DE usually occurs on your palms and soles and are blister-like and will thicken if scratched. I think the blisters themselves took around a week to fully go away and then my hands would be very flaky and dry for perhaps two weeks after that. Although my DE was mostly on my palms and around my fingers, my advice is too avoid scratching it (duh, i know) and touching anything that may be irritant like laundry detergents or dish soap. Try frequently moisturising the area with vaseline or coconut oil and it should be gone in a week or two. I hope this helps and while I still do have eczema on my hands now after my first DE experience, it helped me to know that I wasn't the only one going through this and that it would eventually get better. Best of luck! 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, hanahka06!

My finger doesn't itch or anything and it's only around my left index finger. At this point, I just want to find a way to get my skin to grow back. I pretty much don't have "fingerprints" so I just need reassurance that my skin will grow back and I will be fine. You're right that it helps to find others who have gone through this. Sometimes, that can be hard to find.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.