Dyslipidimia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a diabetic, type 1, 37 years old and over weight. I have been a diabetic for 36 years now. I understand that doctors may want you to take meds that you may not need for their initial use but to help with other things. My cholesterol numbers are actually very good and my doctor has been telling me that he was going to put me on cholesterol meds, I refused the meds because my numbers are good and I did not want to be taking meds just for the sake of taking them. He says that I am more prone to stroke and heart attack because of my illness, which I understand. I still am not comfortable taking cholesterol meds just for preventative care, so again, I refused until I am in more need of the meds. He later diagnosed me with dyslipidimia which is a cholesterol disorder, knowing I do mot have this condition, in my mind just to push me to take these meds. I am wondering if this is legal, can he diagnose me with a disorder he knows I do not have in order to push his want for me to take these meds? Any insight would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This is a decision only you can make. I am not a fan of prescription drugs, they have damaged my hubbies health. Doctors are told what to prescribe, it is all about drugs not healing. How many people take a tablet and get better? everyone seems to be put on drugs for life.

Question? Is everyone's body unique, I believe they are, if so, why should everybody have the same cholesterol and blood pressure. Cholesterol is in the body for a reason, it finds it's own level if you eat the right food which is not low fat. Read about Ancel Keyes, he wrongly decided cholesterol should be lowered.

I believe more people should say no to drugs but, it is up to everyone to decide for themselves.

• Posted

I would get a second opinion. See what that doctor says. I also don't believe there's anything illegal because the doctor could come back and say it was in your best interest or the test where false positive.

• Posted

The numbers are the numbers, and if your doctor is slapping a label on you that the numbers don't support, then in the US that would go to some medical board (who frankly doesn't care much), but I doubt it's "illegal".

What about your triglycerides and urates?

My doctor says the "standard of care" for all diabetics is to prescribe them statins. I'm going through the same thing with my regular PCP - the endocrinologist doesn't seem to even look at the numbers. I don't know what's up with these guys. My LDL was a little high six months ago - because I was taking a diabetes drug that has that side effect! My other numbers were great - and I stopped taking that bad drug (and my BG numbers are great, too). I go in for what I hope and presume is another blood test Tuesday and we shall see. So far I've declined to take the statin, but if my numbers aren't all golden this time around, well, we'll see.

• Posted

Personally, I would look for a new doctor. Every medication has side effects, so taking a medication "just in case" is crazy in my opinion. Prescribing a drug you don't need may not be illegal, but it's unethical. A lot of medical conditions can be controlled through a proper diet. I've never dealt with cholesterol issues, but I prefer a more natural approach to health, which includes vitamins and a healthy diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.