Dyspepsia

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with dyspepsia does anyone have any tips on what foods to avoid? I am now on omeprazole 20mg but don't know much about the condition. I believe I will be having a scan in near future. Internet says avoid caffeine does that aggravate fellow suffers? 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

The foods to avoid are spicey foods, chocolate, sharp citrussy fruit,

alcohol..... yes and coffee. We know that citrus fruit is good for us so have it in a homemade smoothie with plain yogurt. Some medications may cause dyspepsia such as aspirin, ibuprofen  etc., As you go along you will discover what

foods irritate your stomach. I's all trial and error. What affects my stomach may not affect yours. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi

Was diagnosed with dyspepsia possibly gastritis on Monday. My symptoms seem.to differ to other people on here along bloating and pain in abdomen I also have severe hunger pains . .feeling hungry all the time

Have been told to cut put tea coffee spirit y foods and gluten etc but she didn't mention dairy products. I'm not sure what to do.

• Posted

Hi,

thank you so much for your reply.  Really helpful tips. Hmmmmm no chocolate and caffeine that's gonna hard lol. Interesting I have been taking quite a lot of ibuprofen recently for swollen gland so better cut down on them.    

• Posted

Hi Helen

Happy to help!!  Yes Ibuprofen are well known as a stomach irritant, change to Paracetamol.

You will have to drink decaf coffee. As for choc u may be ok with it. If I eat too much I get dreadful heartburn but as I said

all trial and error.

• Posted

Sounds some huge changes needed by me.  On occasions  like a bit of alcohol anything that's doesn't affect you too much. On internet says wine or beer is an irritant. Also what about dairy products and carbohydrates such as bread? Obviously anyone is different like you said  trial and error. 
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

Dyspepsia may be caused by gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gastritis, or it may be a symptom of peptic ulcer disease. Please let me know your symptoms, it will help to understand the cause of dyspepsia. As you have prescribed omeprazole 20 mg, it might be due to peptic ulcer or gastritis. Gastroscopy is a very helpful diagnostic test; it will help to diagnose the cause of dyspepsia.

If the dyspepsia is due to gastritis or peptic ulcer, please avoid spicy, fatty and fried food. Please avoid carbonated beverages; tea and coffee; alcohol; cocoa, chocolate; citrus fruits and juices. These foods may trigger dyspepsia by increasing stomach acid secretion. Please keep a track of foods that increase your dyspepsia and avoid it. You may include cooked vegetables, apple, banana, celery and cranberries in your diet.

• Posted

Hi pat121,

i had a gastroscopy today and theur findings were according to report gastroscopy was performed to 2nd part of duodenum.abnormal examination. Stomach: gastritis: erythematous site: astral severity: mild. Though it doesn't feel mild.

My symptoms at the moment  severe bloating of upper abdomen and gassy feeling and in recent times feels like bad heartburn. Hope that helps you assist what foods to avoid! 

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Bloating and dull, vague, burning or sharp pain in the upper abdomen are common symptoms of gastritis. So please don’t worry. If your haemoglobin is less as compare to normal range, please take vitamin B12.

Please let me know if biopsy was performed during the gastroscopy examination to rule out H. pylori infection. If you do not have H. pylori infection, omeprazole and suggested diet will help you to recover from gastritis. For H. pylori infection, you need to take antibiotics along with omeprazole for 14 to 21 days.

• Posted

Hi, had clo test which apparently means h.pylori infection was negative. I have started taking omeprazole so hopefully I feel better soon with also my change of diet.  Off to the USA on Friday so it might be challenging on holiday!!!!!! 
    • Posted

Hi Helen,

Glad your h.pylori test was negative. Have a wonderful holiday!!.....try not to eat any

of those megga burgers and meals that you can get in U.S

stick with healthy choices.

Bon Voyage!!

• Posted

Hi lilian, thanks healthy all the way now......might be a bit challenging in the USA though but I know the consequences if I don't! 
  • Posted

You say dyspepsia, it comes in many forms. I've had it for over 50 years.What are your actual symptoms?

Google  functional dyspepsia and you will come up with a lot of information.

• Posted

Hi, derek,

thanks I will google as suggested. My main symptoms are very bloated upper abdomen and discomfort in the chest area. 

• Posted

I seem to have the symptoms all the time, but now  I cutting out foods and drinks and taking medication hopefully will improve. I only found out the yesterday so early days. I was told by my gp I might have cancer that's why I had a camera down my throat which was clear thank goodness. I am so relieved they have found what the problem is this is a good thing I now feel positive now. :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.