Dysphagia, Food gettin stuck

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

New to the thread.

However having these symptoms for the past 3 years.

When I wake in the morning and swallow I can feel a lump in my throat when I swallow, it's like a tiny pebble and must move into a different position after getting up from my bed.

When I eat small particles of food get stuck and take a couple more minutes to go down, main foods I have problems with are smaller foods like peanut shards, tuna, bits of biscuit etc.

It all started 3 years ago I did have a bout of anxiety which I was put on medication for after being on this medication for a week I developed white all around the back of my throat and it felt like there were stones down there, the white then dissappeared however the feeling stayed and has since progressively gotten worse.

I have had a scope down my nose into my throat last year and the ENT stated everything was normal and said It may have been allergies and was provided with omeprazole for stomach acid and nasal spray however nothing has gotten better and seems to be getting worse.

It's all I think about and its taken over my life, anyone else had this?

I am only 26 years old, Pretty active.

Cheers

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I wonder if you have candiasis / thrush? 

​Repeating endoscopy and a barium swallow test might show whether food passes through your lower oesophageal sphincter into your stomach OK.

​As with all these things, the doctors give advice  but you should go back if it does not work first time round.

• Posted

How would you treat that?

I'm just worrying about the worst.

I will be booking another appt at the end of august.

It's not big food particles it's literally just smaller things like peanut shards, tuna etc...

• Posted

If you look up the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association, go to The Oesophagus and Achalasia, there is a link to some hints on oral thrush right down towards the end of the page.

​Actually, owrrying, tension and anxiety does tend to make swallowing more difficult, so trying to relax would help, but this is easier said than done.

• Posted

What can cause the feeling as if something is growing in my throat? In the morning seems to be worst.

I swallow for the first time and it kind of moves back into place?

• Posted

Going to the doctors tomorrow, I shall try to get more tests or even a second opinion, hopefully this will help others who are going through the same symptoms.

I will update accordingly, If anyone has or is suffering from the same symptoms and have gone through tests etc please share your story.

• Posted

Okay so visited the doctors today, he's sending me to have abarium swallow, so we will see how this goes and I'll update in due course

• Posted

Hey, i know this is two years old but what was your diagnosis? Feeling any better? 
  • Posted

I know this has been a year old, but did you ever figure out what was going on?
  • Posted

Hi all..New to this site..

I had oesophageal cancer 5 yrs ago and had my oesophagus and part of my stomach removed.alls been good until recently..now I'm getting acid reflux again during the day and night and I'm really panicking something is wrong.. I take lansoprazole twice a day and gaviscon before bed.. I wake up sometimes with acid in my mouth which is so painfull ..I had an endoscopy in May which showed nothing . But has anyone else had this ? I'm at my with a end..

• Posted

I think what you are saying is that this has developed very recently and after the endoscopy in May?

Has anything changed recently which might account for this reflux, to your knowledge? Or changes in what you have been eating?

First thing I think is to check whether the reflux is acid or bile.   So  visit to the GP to explain, and probably a check with a gastroenterologist, preferably somebody linked to the original hospital who has experience of patients who have undergone oesophagectomies.   You can get kits to test acid or bile over the counter I believe, but they may need a bit of interpretation.

Try Gaviscon Advance if you have not already?

It sounds like a digestive problem.

• Posted

Hi Alan..I have a docs apt today. I shall ask about the bile.. it burns like anything when it comes up . I have been monitoring my food intake ..I know grapes are a no no lol . Thanks for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.