Dysphragia

Posted , 7 users are following.

My husband has difficulty eating bread

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Bread and cake are incredibly difficult to swallow when you have Achalasia. I don't eat either any more - unless toasted. I have tried toasting cake but it doesn't work too well!!!!

Plenty of water needed to get it down, as with all food for me.

• Posted

Does this mean that he can swallow bread first of all, but then it gets stuck in his chest area?

Achalasia is a condition where often the sphincter valve by the diaphragm remains shut, and therefore food tends to stick there. With bread, the consistency of it tends to congeal, a bit like, if you excuse the comparison, the way it can get stuck round the plug hole of a kitchen sink.

The best thing is to go to your GP and ask to be referred for a barium swallow test.

There is a booklet 'A Patient's Guide to Achalasia' that you can download from the website of Achalasia Action, but achalasia can only really be diagnosed after a number of tests have been carried out.

• Posted

AJ explained this exactly. Esophageal Manometry is the test to follow up with in order to diagnose Achalasia. It takes measurements of the pressures in the esophagus as you go through the process of swallowing.

Bread has been a problem for me. As well as pizza crust, baked pastries and snacks.

It does feel like it is not going down well and can feel stuck. I've had to drink alot of fluids or just avoid altogether.

I don't eat anything after 7pm and sometimes if I'm still feeling "full" I sleep up on pillows.

I pray you find some answers for him. It's not comfortable. Hard being the one watching it happen too and not being able to help. Comfort and peace in the Nee Year to you both!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.