Ear blockage after using ear antibiotics

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Wednesday night I had some pain on both if my ears and was told to start using ibuprofen. On Thursday the pain was extreme and I got an appointment with a doctor. He confirmed I had a double external ear infection. My right ear was very swollen almost completely shut. He said my eardrums didn't seem perforated. He gave antibiotic drops. The pain was extreme so I took ibuprofen and tylenol. My ears were a bit clogged, but nothing big. The pain was extreme friday and saturday. Pain is strong, but no as bad as before today. The problem is now my ears are extremely clogged. I can feel something (fluid move is being stuck there). One feels pressured and the other one feels fluid moving and clogging it depending how I'm laying. I cannot hear well. I hear an echo or differently when I talk. My husband was adding the drops and he used my phone flashlight and he said he could see something that seemed like fluid build up. I'm still using the eardrops as directed because the pain is no joke, but I'm going crazy with the clogged ears. Here is a picture he took and you can see it. Unfortunately, I lost my insurance a day before it all started, so I'm already paying Thursday's appointment which was $300. If this will resolve on it's own, I'll try to not go to the doctor. But my question is based in thr picture anf symptoms is a normal process of ear infections?? Adding::" on friday I messaged the doctor letting him know I had fever and body chills he saif that's not part of an external infection, but since then I had fever 2 more times and that's it.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Thank you

Didn't know how to upload a picture. But it shows yellowish fluid in my ear canal just sitting there. Both ears burn a bit.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for all my errors. Not a fan of using the phone.. Thanks
  • Posted

It sounds a bit like something I had though my ears didn't swell like that. I had myringitis and it causes pus filled sacs to develop on the eardrum. V painful. I sympathise with your financial situation but you need the right diagnosis. Do you have free er near you? Sorry not sure about the American system. X

• Posted

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. I think I figured it out. It's earwax. Gross, I know. Last night I couldn't sleep with how sticky my ears were. Now both are the same. we tried squirting water into one of them only to regret it five minutes later. My husband said to just schedule the appointment. . He probably wants his wife back hahaha I've been so whiny this past few days. He of course understands my pain.. I hope it's just ear wax that got loose because of the antibiotics. I can't find any other reason to why they feel so sticky. I did insert my finger inside the outer ear lol and I'm 80% sure it's just earwax, but I'm having a lot of pain. I hope they can figure out everything this time because these bills will be high. Thank you so much for your sympathy and time smile Also, I'm looking into an "almost free" clinic my sister told me about. If they have an opening for today, I'm giving them a try. Thanks <3

• Posted

Hello Maggie,

My advise for you would be to get right back to your doctor.  You have a very bad ear infection that needs antibiotics.  Ear antibiotics will be no good.  You probably do in fact have perforated eardrum that can't been seen due to all the mucus stuck to the hole.....this has happened to me a few times....mine was perforated.

This could potentially turn nasty.  It did for me many years ago.  without trying to frighten you and it is rare.  I contracted Bacterial Meningitis from the mucus sitting too long in my Eustachian Tubes.  It crossed the Blood/Brain barrier and that was it. I was seriously ill in hospital for two weeks.  Did you get a cold before your

ear/ears started to block up, or do you suffer from sinusitis ?  These are what caused mine.

Please get back to the doctor as soon as possible and protect yourself.  Fluid (Mucus) can take ages to drain all the time there is infection present and inflammation that has made your tubes swell.

Take care and let me know how you get on.

Anne

• Posted

Just read your message over again Maggie,  Your doctor was so wrong to leave you unprotected.  I was really ill with dreadful headache prior to the Meningitis.....please get help soon and do not delay !!

Anne

• Posted

Sorry Maggie I've just though of something else.  those ear drops won't be able to penetrate your eardrum with all the muck that's stuck to it....so you're not receiving any benefit whatsoever.

Anne

• Posted

I really don't think it's wax....it's the infection seeping through, mixed with the drops.  Never put water into your ears.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.