Ear Blocked after using Otex

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a history of swimmers ear, but this was over 20 years ago. Recently, I noticed that sleeping on my left side, where the swimmers ear was, I awoke with similar pain. I used Otex ear drops and since then, the ear has been blocked with only muffled hearing in that ear. Also my nasal passages block and I use a nasal spray. I have been told that Otex will expand the ear wax as it softens, which may account for the blockage. I have used over the counter olive oil, and then discovered Otex Express which I have been using since. I have ordered an irrigation kit, but have been advised that the ear wax has to be treated for at least seven days.

I am wondering if anyone on the site has had experience of Otex. NHS will not treat, so the problem with the ear has not been professionally diagnosed. My surgery don't want to know, and encouraged me to continue to self diagnose and self treat.

Any feedback would be very helpful.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Apparently GPs have been told by NICE not to do old fashioned syringing of ears but some do micro suctioning which is better for your ears. There are also establishments setting up where you can get ears cleared of wax. Our town has at least one and a private hearing aid shop also does it. Of course there is a charge, I know the hearing aid place charges £40 for one ear, £60 for two. I wouldn't try doing it yourself you might damage your ear drum.I would also try 111, we are always being told to ring them for advice so test them out! They should be able to tell you what to do and/or where you could go to get sorted out.Good luck.

• Posted

Many thanks> The closest facility to me is in Southampton and I am in Wiltshire. At 77 years of age, and still recovering from a hip replacement with complications, this drive is out of the question. 111 triaged me, did not respond adequately to my query about the ear and then referred me back to my surgery, who once again, ignored me, and encouraged me to self diagnose and continue with the treatment that I was implementing. So, I have to suffer because of NHS cutbacks. Austerity is over? I don't think so. Not where I live!

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear your disappointing response from 111 and your surgery. It's frightening how unsympathetic and unhelpful GPs are these days. However if you are in pain I would go back to the GP although I understand that may be difficult with your new hip. If you have only been able to get as far as a receptionist in the past don't tell them why you need a doctor's appointment. I don't know Wiltshire - is there not a town nearer to you than Southampton. Have you Googled "ear wax removal" you might find something nearer. Apologies if you've done all the research,. The only other thing I could suggest would be warmth against the affected ear - might melt the wax. However as I said, if you've got pain go back to the GP - exaggerate if necessary. They should at least look in your ear and tell you if they can see wax. The other thing you could do is a hearing test on - line ACTION FOR HEARING LOSS - get a print out and ask your GP for referral for hearing aids assuming you don't already have them. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Linda:

Many thanks for your interest and responses.

I am assuming that it is a build up of ear wax, but it has not been formally diagnosed by a GP as they wont see you! I have switched from Otex to olive oil.

I wrote a letter of complaint, strongly worded to the surgery, and now have an appointment, finally, to see the nurse next week.

Apart from the blockage and only partial hearing in that ear, I find that when food "repeats" the ear pops. To me, it seems that there is a blockage, possibly caused by a wax build up and a vacuum behind it, so that when food repeats, it brings air with it, that causes the ear to pop.It may be a problem with the eustachian tube, possibly. I have tried all the remedies and manoeuvers with no success.

At least I have the appointment, and hope they can sort me out, without having to refer me on, although I rather suspect that this is more complex than a wax build up. I have ordered a fairly sophisticated syringe device, that seems to be taking forever to arrive. I have contacted the seller on Amazon and asked where the device originates. No response, other than a repeat of the eta. I am concerned about cheaply made products that my do more harm than good. Will have to evaluate it when it eventually arrives, which may e too late, anyway!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.