Ear Crackling, Dizziness, Vertigo, neck pain, Sinus Pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

About a year ago I was at a basketball arena and out of nowhere the room started spinning on me. I had a vertigo episode that caused me to throw up, drenched head to toe in sweat, and I was pale as a ghost. The next day I woke up with ear crackling that has not gone away since. I have gone through almost every ENT test to determine what they believe it is. I keep getting told that they are stumped. All hearing tests came back normal.

Now I havent been having dizzy spells but have crackling in my ears when I swallow, neck/jaw pain, pressure in my sinuses/eyes, post nasal drip, bags under my eyes.

Things I have tried with no help: mouthguard for TMJ, Upper cervical chiro, regular chiropractor, sinus rinses for 3 months. I have also been getting allergy shots and am almost to the maintenance stage and havent noticed a difference.

I have been put on an anti-anxiety med (currently at one week) and am awaiting a test result for Lyme. Does anyone have any idea what I could be dealing with?

Working on scheduling a visit to the Mayo Clinic in Dec/Jan

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

With the greatest respect, they are really interesting symptoms.

You mention Turobmandibular Joint Dysfunction, have you been diagnosed with that? And if so, did the ENT team state that it could be managed by a mouth guard? If so, TMJ it's likely having minimal effect by itself to the overall problem.

I would try decongestants. As you know, ears, nose and throat are all linked. If you're congested then it can cause popping and cracking in ears, sinus blocking (which can also effect eyes and lead medical teams down the allergies route), post nasal drip. I'm not entirely sure about neck pain but I currently am congested badly and have neck stiffness / soreness.

I bet all the symptoms plus the stress is reducing your sleep time or at least your quality of sleep, hense bags under your eyes.

Go online and get some strong decongestants for frequent flyers. Give it some time to kick in and hopefully that'll do wonders for you

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.