ear crystals

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with your crystals being out of place. I've been going to Vista Buehler rehab and it hasn't seemed to get rid of it. Are there any treatments such as surgical or medication that will either remove or dissolve these crystals thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Usually the Epley manouver tteatment does work it did for me the first time I had vertigo, this time I had 4 treatments in one session, the vertigo had gone. But am constantly dizzy. Both occasions have between brought on 6 weeks after major spinal surgery
    • Posted

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to come it correctly because of your surgeries. I don't know anything about that.

• Posted

Chris, you need to get an Epley manoeuvre done. I've just had my second attack of this, and it was successfully resolved last week in a 20-minute session by a physiotherapist trained in vestibular work. The Epley isn't very pleasant, but if it's done properly it's instantly successful.

However, if you can't find anyone to treat you the crystals will eventually dissolve of their own accord. Surgery is definitely not necessary and medication will only relieve the symptoms (slightly) but won't cure the condition. I don't know what Vista Buehler is, but maybe someone else will.

You should try to find either a vestibular physiotherapist or a vestibular, vertigo or balance clinc in your area. A few ENT doctors know about the manoeuvre but not many are skilled in it.

In any case, don't worry. If you can't get anyone to help you, the crystals will eventually dissolve. But don't believe what it says on internet sites about this taking two months maximum. That's not true for everyone. My first time round, when I couldn't get competent treatment, it took more than a year. This time it was only two months before I was recommended to a good physiotherapist who was skilled in the Epley manoeuvre.

• Posted

They have to settle. Rehab to retrain your brain to deal with them. Fluid in the inner ear can make them float around a while.
  • Posted

How was the diagnosis made, and who (ENT or GP) made the diagnosis?  What symptoms did you have?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.