Ear infection?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello. I had vertigo (dizziness when move head) in January during this time I had a sensation of warmth inside the left ear, pulsating left ear like heart beat (i've never heard this before), ear fulness and pressure (I kept opening my mouth to release air and it also felt like something move briefly in the ear. Then this developed into a VI nerve palsy (a swelling on the brain). Does anyone know do these ear symptoms sound like an ear infection or are they symptoms due to having a swelling on the brain? thanks.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have had a few ear infections in my left ear before. Causing a vibration feeling or fluttering feeling.

My ear infections took between two to three weeks to clear. What has helped me are ear plugs for swimming to keep the water out the ear when I wash my hair in the shower. You can get these online or a high street discount sports shop for around  £3 a pair.  They help keep the water out the ear. What can happen with an ear infection is water can get in the ear (having a bath, shower or swimming) and it doesn't dry out quick enough. Then bacteria can get in the water in the ear causing an infection.

Normally if you use a hairdryer the warm air helps to dry out the ear.

There is the 111 NHS number you can call.  A nurse or GP can call you back to discuss your symptoms.  I've used it a few times before. 

• Posted

Hi Helen, thanks for your reply. I have called 111 on the second night as I was distressed and anxious as I wasnt able to sleep. I dont have much pain (just a very very little pain sometimes) and feel a bit of water in my ears. I had lots of ear infections when I was young until 8 years old. (and I remember a lot of pain!!) My main problem is the buzzing. I saw two doctors but none wanted to give me antibiotics or drops. One said 1 week, the other one 2 weeks. The buzzing got a bit better anyway, but I still have it. I'll get the ear plugs for the shower, I think it's  good idea. Thanks a lot
  • Posted

Hi Helen

An update: I  went yesterday for another check after 2 weeks this  started. I went to Guys Hospital in London Bridge as they have a walk in Centre. The GP at my clinic were all busy and I couldnt get an appointment for earlier plus, I'm taking 2 flights this Friday evenening  ( one is a 12 hours flight!). Cince this started I never had ear ache, but the first and the second doctors said I had a small ear infection. The vibrations/buzzing have eased a lot along this time, but I still have it and I still feel my left ear a bit unconfortable as if I had water inside and pain if I touch behind the ear (if I press a bit)

The thing is, yesterday when I got checked he said I had a little bit of temperature but when checking the left ear, the infection aparently has cleared completely.

I still have vibrations/buzzing and feeling as water inside. As I never had pain, I dont really know if this is still there.

I dont normally have ear infections. (I had lots until I was 8)

I dont know what to expect. As you mentioned a GP saw you and said you didnt have anything and a second GP the next day said you had an infection and temperature I dont know what to do.

None of these doctors gave me antibiotics and I will be taking a flight in a couple of days. Any advice?

Many thanks again.Ana

• Posted

Hi Ana, You could call the 111 number again, do it today.  Give them a call and say what you have written here.  Best to have peace of mind and ask about the antibiotics, your vibrations in your ear and flight in a few days.
  • Posted

Hi Helen, thanks for your advice.

The buzzing yesterday lasted all day and I felt it worse. I asked this morning in my centre to see a GP to make sure the ear infection has cleared out. The lady first asked what GP saw me last time and I gave his name. She couldnt believe he didnt give me anything for it. Then she read his statement and he said he did give me something for it. He lied! I can't believe it....He also said I could fly with my ear as it is (I mentioned I'm flying in 2 weeks I really need to get this sorted out before the flight, but he didnt give it any importance). So now I'm waiting for my GP to see me today. Let's see what she says...Thank you!

• Posted

A couple of months ago I was in a fix and it came on in an instant. I was hearing perfectly and then all of the sudden things sounded as if clogged and distant I began looking for remedies and believe me I tried most of them. It got a little better but then it got worse again. I couldn't stand it, I couldn't hear, my ear itched, and then it began to ring loud.  It drove me to the following. for about 6 weeks I used peroxide, white vinegar, I bought swimmers ear stuff, I started taking decongesting pills which helped most. I put olive oil in at it soothed. I relentlessly was doing this but didn't give up. Lots of water ... and it finally went away or was relieved from the horrible ringing and deaf muffled sound!  The last bit of information I got was anti fungus .. Healthfood/suppliment stores have garlic, mullein, and lobelia oil. I started this today and I can feel the oil cross my nasals from both sides. I had read where some were just ok to suffer with the issue. No way I could have done that.. no ringing, no muffled sounds, and the decongestants amazingly enough were the best relief. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.