Ear infection, four days on antibiotics/3 different docs no improvement.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I'm really hoping that someone can help here, I've had an ear infection since Wednesday evening, I went to the doctors on Thursday morning in pain and was given otomise ear drops and told to take paracetamol and ibuprofen - I have asthma. I went back the next day in more pain and was turned away and told to carry on with my prescribed spray, by 13:00 in the morning I was in tears and went to the out of hours surgery to be told what I had been prescribed wouldn't touch the infection because my ear is swollen shut and the meds were too weak, I was given cocodamol 500mg which helps half the pain and antibiotics that I've been taking for two days with little to no improvement - fluxolaxin (I think). When the cocodamol wears off I'm in tears again with the throbbing/ stabbing pain - I've started getting clear discharge out of my ear today and my face is slightly swollen. I don't know if I should go back to the docs or a&e, or if I should grin and bare the pain and wait? Please help x Jade

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi jade im alan from australia had ear infection as well went to doctors he gave drops did nothing, then went to see a and e put me on viofom drops it helped biu now have hole in my ear drum it usaly heals by it self but takes time,hope this helps alam
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for being so helpful, I don't know what I would be doing now without this forum - it's wonderful! I am going to go and get the reassurance I need off the private consultant and then get referred back to the nhs - as I can't pay £300 for an xray! :-) hopefully he can fit a gauze or drain my ear (if that's possible) and find out if my ear drum has perforated too, I will post when I'm home x
  • Posted

Hello, I'm back from the consultant and very tired now! The consultant was lovely and said he understood my pain, I asked to be referred back to the NHS after his evalutation (will tell you what it is) and was told that he would have to go through my GP who may not listen to him, I would then have to wait 10 days for an urgent referal to NHS ENT. The alternative which I chose as a treat :-/ was immediately having my ear suctioned by an ENT Professor which was painful, he then had to put gauze in my ear and I screamed it was that painful and curled up in a ball and cried on the chair/table (he must think I am mad). I've got to go back in a week and have this done again, I have been prescribed anti biotic ear drops - genticin, anti biotics -ciprofloxacin and steroids prednisolone. I've taken my meds and eaten lunch and now feel sick - which probably isn't too surprising. Very sleepy now x
    • Posted

Hi. So glad you had a good result and will feel better soon. What did he say the problem had been?
    • Posted

He said the steroids should start to work by tomorrow afternoon. I'm going back into work tomorrow so that's good - I feel bad having time off. He couldn't see my ear drum because of the swelling but said it is a particularly bad external infection and it's swollen shut, he also said that the 1st doctor should have prescribed flucloxacillin immediately with cocodamol, if she had it would have worked x
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your help and advice I really appreciate it you've all helped me so much. Good luck Marc with your treatment for your ears I hope it won't come to hearing aids for you one day x
  • Posted

Hi jade. Not sure if you will even remember but how long did it take for you to get back to normal again?? Imy having exactly the same symptoms and came across this discuscion. Would be really nice to know how long I will have to go through this pain for !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.