Ear infection not cleared

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had pain in my right ear, behind the ear, my glands were swollen and tender, and developed tinnitus engine sound and ringing in that ear. GP looked and said it was full of pus and eardrum was about to burst. Gave me 5 days of Amoxicillin. completed them, pain is improved but still there along with other symptoms. Seen GP again today initially he said it was still full of goo,and the eardrum stretched. He asked a colleague to look for a second opinion. This was that eardrum was stretched and not moving and the Malleus was discoloured. Advice given to take decongestant for two days max and wait for it to resolve.Give it two weeks if not better ring him. Has anyone had similar? Sat here with mild ear pain, engine noise and ringing in my head. Never had an issue before. Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Molly,

Hope you're feeling better now.

I've just been prescribed amoxicillin over the phone for similar symptoms so hoping they work. Was a little worried that my ear wasn't examined first but hopefully the medicine will help. I too have the tinnitus and that was the first symptom that appeared for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.