Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

In desperate need of help!

I have suffered from ear ache since the age of 4 , throughout my teenage years I still suffered about 4 a year but after my son was born the last four years I have been getting ear infections every 2 months , ear drops do not help clear them up and make them worse. I have been backwards and forth to ent departments and seen numerous people. The doctors just send me to a&e now because they have no idea why I keep getting them.

I was was eventually told I have to live with it. I have to go to the ent every two months , my ear infection get so bad my hearing goes. I keep my ears very dry and do now swim.

please can someone help or give me advice on what the cause could be

0 likes, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    I'm so sorry, I wish I had an answer for you.  I'm in the USA, our health care system is very different.  If you were in the US, I would tell you to find a large teaching hospital and make an appointment with a subspecialist in ENT.  Seems to me you're just being passed around by Doctors who don't necessarily know what they're doing.  I know how much anxiety this causes, I have been struggling with otitis externa (chronic) and now have ETD in both ears (clicking and clunking) and no one answered my post, so I'm just trying to give you some support and comfort.  <3

  • Posted

    Hi Kate do you have infections just in your ear canals (otitis externa), or do you get them behind your ear drums (otitis media/glue ear)? If it is in your middle ear then finding an ENT who performs balloon dilation of your eustachian tubes is your best bet. Google or phone ENT clinics and ask if the ENTs perform this procedure. Have you been given grommets in the past? Perhaps it would be worth looking for a private ENT - a professor who specialises in middle ear dysfunction and paying for a second opinion. I am an audiologist and regularly see clients with the same problem that have suffered for 30+ years and finally see the ENT guru where I live, who resolves the infections. Have they taken swabs of the discharge to see what bacteria is causing the problem so that they give you the correct antibiotics? xx
  • Posted

    Hello Kate;


        Looks like you are in good hands here some of the replies you are getting.  While I would recommend the ENT (as previously said) and if you are not getting answers to the questions you are asking, maybe you need a different ENT.


        While a bit off topic, I would ask if you are using a blue tooth device in your ear, or maybe ear buds?  This may contribute to your infection as well as an irratant with the ear and causing you pain.

         Sometimes we miss some obvious triggers to our problems, other times I could be barking up the wrong side of a tree.


         I brought up the ear buds and the blue tooth (ie: headset for a phone).  These are great breeding grounds for funguses and maybe your ear infection is a fungal infection instead of an actual ear infection.  Just a thought.



Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up