Ear is blocked, hurts after I tried to unblock it.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a cold for the past few days, and today suddenly my right ear became blocked. So I tried to unblock it asap by holding my nose closed and then trying to exhale through it (this usually fixes it for me on planes etc) however the pop happened but my ear was still blocked, and it began hurting straight away. The pain has been here for hours now, I tried to pop it at about 12PM and it's now 8PM. 

Not sure what to do, is there any remedies I can try to try and unblock my ear? It's from a cold as far as I'm aware as I've been blowing my nose hard past few days, and now it really hurts and I sort of feel dizzy. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds as if fluid is trapped behind the ear drum. Could be a slight infection also. I have had fluid behind the drum for the last 7months following a cold and symptoms are dizziness and ive had tinnitus and pain! Try and get a docs app asap
    • Posted

Hi, I too have been having problems since a bad cold for the last couple of months, GP said i have fluid behind ear drum and given hayfever spray which has not worked, I have tried steaming my ear and breathing in steam, i too am having dizziness and tinnitus, going back to GP again, am also having problems with other ear as well, what joy!
    • Posted

Its horrendous! Ive seen two ENT who have refused to put grommets in apprently the fluid moves but my eustachian tube os blocked so ive been put on strong antibiotics incase i have a bacterial inf in middle ear! I just need it to go now . The dizziness is ruining my life
    • Posted

Hi, Ican feel the fluid move, my ear is worse in the morning, my ear crackles when i put my head on the pillow.  I am doing some intensive steaming with tea tree oil, will try anything, had perfect earing before this, however, when i have had colds my ears always are affected, but they normally clear by themselves, but this time not.  For the first few weeks, i could move my head backwards and the fluid would move, and i could hear again, but you can't walk around staring at the ceiling and sky.  The fluid must have now congealed  as i don't get that relief now, so frustrating... hope you feel better soon and the antis work

• Posted

I had a sinus & double ear infections woke up last week & my ears felt

blocked. Like on the airplane. My eyes were contantlyrunning along with a pounding headach that will not go away, left ear can not hear constant ringing or buzzing. Right ear I have partial hearing. Would not go away.

So went to gp. They said what I thought, put me on antibiotic. Fluid &

red (I was not in pain) 2 days later I thought I would go crazy I went back to gp who said no fluid & ears are no longer red said I need to be patient!!

Put me on steroids & set up a appointment with ENT.

Went to ENT He said everthing is fine, go off antibiotics and put me on

more steroids & nose spray (that was thurs 25th of Feb 2016). Said

I must have a bad virus. Said he wants me to go to the hearing center.

They called for an appointment & could get me right in.

Went to the hearing center explained everything to them. Long story

short I have no hearing in my left ear & only Partial in my right!! I am so

scared along with frusrated. She also old me I only have 30% chance of

getting it back!!

I have never had this happen.

I have been home bound due to the right ear being so sensitive with noice. I went after my Doc visits to the grocery store & I wanted to go crazy sounded like everyone was behind me. No one was around me & it was loud but could not make what they were saying.

I have another appointment with the ENT on March 10th. I hope I can get answers.

Anyone else have this problem???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.