Ear pain/clogged and tinnitus immediately after a hard cough almost six weeks ago.

Posted , 4 users are following.

On august 5th I was smoking cannabis as I have for roughly 7 years to help me sleep and eat, however this time it caused me to cough particularly hard. Immediately after I coughed it felt as though the cough sent pressure and fluid into my ears and bad tinnitus started all at once. My ears also hurt quite a bit and felt like they were burning inside.

The next day I went to a general doctor who believes I have Eustachian tube dysfunction and prescribed a six day prednisolone regime, which made the pain go away and the pressure reduce within about 3 or 4 days. The ringing lessened somewhat to where certain noises will mask it, however it has been persistent ever since then, and my ears are still making popping/clicking sounds.

I hear a clicking/popping sort of sound when I yawn and sometimes when I chew, and sometimes it feels like there is fluid in my ears.

The ringing is what is really wearing me down as I have had to postpone college due to the fact I cannot concentrate on anything, and have a very hard time sleeping. (I quit smoking on August 6th).

Sometimes it feels like my left ear plugs up again and the ringing becomes very loud to the point where I cannot mask it with anything, but once I fall asleep and wake up it is back to the previous volume.

I'm very worried I damaged something in my ears and that the ringing will last forever and the worry is causing me great distress.

I've seen two ENT's and had my hearing checked which came back perfect. They scratch their heads and tell me to come back in X amount of time to check for an infection, and that they don't know what causes tinnitus. I can't live like this forever.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

I have seen a couple stories with similar symptoms but never from a hard cough like my started. I also had a lot of mucus in general which has lessened now with the help of Clartin D and Flonase.

Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Chronic Tinnitus sufferer here, have had it for 4 years and even though I have good days and bad days, it's always there.

Tinnitus is one of our body's unexplained mysteries, and even though we know what it is, it's still unclear on exactly what causes it. I'm not trying to steer you in the wrong direction, but you could possibly have permanent tinnitus. If the tinnitus doesn't go away after 6 months, it is consider chronic. Based on your symptoms, I think you have strong hope that it's just a permanent tinnitus, as soon as the fluid and clogging goes away, your brain should adjust and get the relief you are looking for!!!

If it is chronic, please know that there is a life after tinnitus. You must understand that there's close to a billion people in the world who have it, and you are not alone. Over time, your brain adjusts to the sounds and you begin to sleep through the night and forget about it during the day. I read a book called re-wiring tinnitus and it really helped me. Stay positive and don't give up on your daily life, you will be just fine!!!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply aspano, and your reassurance. I've never dealt with any ear problem like this before.

If I may, do you know what happened to start your tinnitus four years ago?

• Posted

Hi ,I've had the same problem as you for 6 weeks.I went to see a paramedic at the doctors surgery as the doctors don,t see patients as much now.My ears pop if I blow through my nose.They crackle when I chew.One ear feels worse.It feels hot inside and a slight pain.The other ear feels full.I also get whistling in my ears.I describe it as having headphones on but no music.I was told my ears were clear but I could have eustachian tube dysfunction.I was told to take hay-fever tablets.I did this for the 6 weeks but no difference. I went back and my ears were looked at with a smaller ear piece.I was then told they were full of fluid.Also I was told when the fluid hopefully goes the tinnitus might stop.I hope so as my father suffered badly with tinnitus all his life and like you I don't want it to continue. I was told to take beconase.Its a steroid for hay-fever although this is not hay-fever.It was 10.99 without prescription. not sure if you can get it on prescription.Anyway I've got to say I am sure its a little easier.The doctor also gave me diazapam to take at bed time and this does help me sleep.Hopefully it will get better although I never thought it would calm down.I am also waiting for hearing test.Hope you can get some help from my post,do try that stuff its worth a try.Don,t give up keep trying Hope you get rid of it as its horrible. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.