Ear pain for years

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am a 20 year old college student. To get an idea of my history, starting at the age of 2 I had my first of many (13 to be exact) surgeries on my ear due to a cholesteatoma that occurred 4 times (the 4th being caught early enough to not require surgery due to my mastoidectomy). I have no middle ear bones and my ear drum was made out of a skin graph twice. And since about the age 12-13 I started to get a lot of chronic pain that my ENT and many others just say was due to nerve damage from my extensive surgeries but it has been nearly a decade later and they have given me no answers. I was given gabapentin and was on it for years but it didn’t seem like it did anything so I stopped taking it. I also had tried getting steroid shots into my ear from my ENT which just made my pain 100x worse. I have regular cleanings every 6-8 weeks which helps manage my infections but I am in pain constantly and I just really need to know what different options I have because my doctors have given me none and I can’t live in this pain anymore. Has anyone had any similar problems?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.