Ear troubles, please any advice on what its most likely to be??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had ear issues in my left ear for 4 years now. when there is a loud noise my ear feels a low bass-like pressure is pushing on my eardrum I think thats pressure imbalance????

It happens when my people talk too loud, when something drops on the floor, when there is a song on and the beats are high like rap music, clapping, tapping and even running my fingers through my hair in my room causes my ear to pop, i dont think it happens when im at work which is loud and noisy.

I have found forcing pressure into my inner ear helps a lot! i feel normal when i do this but it lasts as long as i dont swallow the pressure out of my inner ear. it felt great when i had a cold because my ears were blocked but that meant when i forced air into my inner ear, it didnt escape when i swallowed.

Steroid nasal drops help and more importantly being in a loud environment like a nightclub, shopping centre, food court or a being in a car with the radio on fairly loud. i feel it masks the feeling i get with certain noises. 

I have been to the 2 different ENTs 3 times and have been told different things "hyperacusis" "vestibular migraine" "blood vessels close to my ear" - i dont believe any of these. i feel they are scapegoats as they dont know fully what it is.

but ultimately im on migraine tablets which aren't helping my issue at all. i dont have migraines, nor headaches.

hopefully this helps to understand how i see it.

If you could imagine the ear hears between two ranges 0 and 100. 0 being a sensory deprivation room and 100 being next to an airplane. anything between 0 and 50 i find my ear feels imbalanced with noises like cutlery and clapping. but when im in a room thats louder than 50 and closer to 100 i can almost handle those noises no problem. 

Hopefully someone can relate to what im experiencing and can give me a heads up what it could be so i can relay to my ENT properly as i have a strong difficulty in getting words to associate feelings correctly.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I've had similar issues, but for about 25 years in the right ear !  I had a turbinectomy way back to open up airway but didn't find that it helped as my probs seem to be the eustacian tube which closes. I have to hold my nose and "pop" my ear to open it.

I do suffer from dizziness, but more from the neck than ear.  ENT's don't get this !!

They only think that dizziness comes from the inner ear, but neurologists, PT's, and some ENT's know they are wrong.

IF you have tight neck muscles, especially the occipital nerve area, it can cause all sorts of ear problems including dizziness, pain, and stuffiness.

Hope this helps.

Nasacort and saline sprays really help !!

• Posted

I have some similar problems,not all the same though.Sorry to be negative but there isn't a real answer.Read through some of my comments  on these pages.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.