Ear won’t unblock

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, so I think last week or something I put my headphones on and when I took em off I felt this blocked feeling so I thought it would go away in a couple of seconds but it didn’t so I put both my fingers on my nose and blew which usually works but that didn’t but 2 days or maybe more after, I was in the bathroom and I yawned and I got even more blocked ear, it now feels like when you dive in a swimming pool and come back up. That feeling but it doesn’t have that good sensation of it just going away. Oh yes a nurse checked my ear and there is no wax just a bit of fluid which I have had before but she doesn’t think that’s the problem. I don’t think there is any more to say but thank you if you are reading this.)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You may have eustation tube disfuntion..ETD...
    • Posted

Looked it up and it seems I do. Thanks for answering cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hello,  Well I've read your post and it seems like you do in fact have fluid

behind your eardrum, giving you the feeling of fullness.  This condition

is called Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD)  Fluid can take absilutely

ages to drain.  Your tubes have swelled up, for whatever reason, not

enabling your tube/tubes to drain.

Ask your doctor to prescribe a Sterodd Nasal Spray to see if this will

help.

I have almost 40 years experience with suffering ETD and for me I

know what works and what doesn't.

Did you have a cold prior to your ear blocking up, or maybe do you

suffer sinusitis, or even allergies....all these can in some people

cause ETD, as in my case.

Let me know how you get on if you decide to get an appointment.

Regards Anne

• Posted

Slip of finger on keyboard, that should have read absolutely.  Also

with ETD there is usually a lot of inflammation present, that too

prevents drainage.

Anne

• Posted

Sorry for jumping into this conversation. I've had ETD for over a year now, and it's especially bad when I'm travelling in a car, and going through mountains (I'm too scared to get on a plane because of it) 

I've tried nasal sprays and antihistamines but it's still there. Doctor just keeps telling me it will go away at some point.

Just wondering how you deal with it on a daily basis as it's really got me down.

Thank you, Kirsty 

• Posted

Hello Kirsty,

If you haven't scrolled back to see my posts to others on the Forum, I

suggest you get your doctor to prescribe Prednisolone Steroid Tablets.

You will need at least a 20 day reducing course to make them work

with having had it for so long.

What country are you in.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne, I tried to refresh the page on my phone and it keeps jumping back. 

I'm in the U.K my doctor seems resistant to give me anything. He just keep saying it will get better in time, but this is ridiculous! 

I was even on antidepressants for a while it was getting me down so much, it still stops me travelling so has had a massive impact on my daily life. 

I could certainly ask about prednisolone and see if he'd prescribe them... 

Thank you 

• Posted

Hello again Kirsty,

Good, I'm so glad you live in England as I am too.  So you will be able to be prescribed

what has sorted me out.  

First, tell your doctor that you're no longer prepared to put up with ETD and you need 

Prednisolone (remember the amount) and then Flixonase Nasule Drops.  These drops

are stronger than the steroid Nasal Sprays, which no longer work for me.

As you can't find my previous posts I'll repeat what happened to me.

Back in April I had a particularly bad episode with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, with it

resulting in a perforation in my left eardrum.  That's when I was prescribed the Prednisolone.

My Smell and Taste returned after years and year of not having them.  I was then put on

a 6 weeks course of the Flixonase Nasule Drops (you have to lean your head over the bed

to administer).  After I'd finished the 6 weeks of these drops, I should then have reverted

back onto the Flixonase Nasal Spray.  In the past when I've done this I've only had 4 weeks

relief from ETD then it's all back, my smell and taste would disappear too using the spray.

So what I'm doing now, since April 2017, is only using the Nasules when me ear/ears

block up.  I then give a gently blow and pop them open, they remain good for between

another 6/7 days.  So I'm only using them once a week approx.

I'm not at all surprised you were  on antidepressants, this condition drives us all mad

and you're right it does affect our lives.

Insist on these medications.  You will find that the Prednisolone will clear all the

inflammation away.  With ETD our tubes swell from inflammation which in turn

they are unable to drain.  This condition, without medication can last for months

and months and in my case it was years and years.  Over 30 in fact !!

Several years ago I suffered Pneumococcal Bacterial Meningitis.  The mucus

that had blocked my Eustachian Tubes for so long turned bacterial, crossed the

blood/brain barrier and bingo it got me.  Dreadful time, where I lost the sight in

my left eye and hearing down in my right ear.  Suffer vertigo too.  I wouldn't

want anyone to go through what I did, by leaving ETD untreated.  And if an

earache appears, go onto antibiotics straight away....sadly, I was left too long !!

Hope you find this post of some help and do let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.