Early Alzheimer symptoms

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello. This will be quick. My dad said something that scared me and I just need an opinion. We were talking about stuff on TV when all of a sudden he said he was about to ask me if I finished my homework yet. He immediately caught himself and said he didn't know what he was thinking. I haven't been in school in over 20 years. He is 73. No other weird "glitches" have occurred except some forgetfulness here and there. Was this just something to be concerned about? He is otherwise healthy and active.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kayyy

I had a bit of a scare last year regards Dementia and I went through over five weeks of tests and scans, in my case they confirmed I have a Congenital Short Term Memory disorder, it is not serious I am just forgetful, in the short term so try not to worry. My family however has had two relatives with Dementia both died of symptoms. I am now sixty seven and  forgetful, some find it is quite amusing

However a Dementia needs testing for, although if it happens once in a blue moon keep an eye on him  and suggest He talks to the GP. The tests are not invasive, they just test various parts of the brain. It is like going back to school, the difference is we do not get a qualification at the end of them

You need to understand as we get older our memory seems to get a bit suspect. Like today when on here by tomorrow I will have forgotten this reply. Lol

If you  can go with your Father if He will let you and you can give some support also explain your Dads symptoms

BOB

• Posted

One Swallow doesn't make a summer. I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just keep a general eye on things. 

• Posted

How is your Dad?  Some forgetfulness is common in aging but it sounds like you might want to take him to a neurologist for testing. 
    • Posted

He is fine. I have been keeping an eye on him. He reads the paper regularly and keeps up with the news and current events even better than I can sometimes. I will continue to keep watch though.
  • Posted

hi Kayyy

I see you are concerned about your Dad. As I understand it Alzheimer's is characterised by failures on a number of aspects of cognative ability and departures from normal behaviour. Such failures are noticed by those living in the same house a few years before a diagnosis may be attempted by professionals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.