Early days of fluoxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys.

I just need a bit of advice. I started to take 20mg of fluoxetine last week. i read that it causes drowsiness and can effect driving so i decided to take it at night. Even though it says the side effects can take a few weeks to show, ive already started to feel the other side effect of not being able to sleep. Ive been able to sleep around 4/5 hours a day but very broken and i havent been able to drift off til 4/5am. Today i wasn't able to sleep til 11am and i woke up at 3pm and i feel even worse than i did before i started to take the tablets. Im also super aware of noises going on around me when im trying to drift off. Ive tried to play brown noise to help and im still tossing and turning. I feel like im gonna go insane 😦 i just need some advice and to see if anyone else has had side effects this early on into taking the meds. I know medication can effect everyone differently but im feeling pretty lost and upset because i feel like ive taken 1 step forward and 3 steps back at the same time.

If you got this far, thanks for reading! Im glad ive found a platform i can get some advice rather than going stir crazy reading the same results on google.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Becca

I just completed week 16 on 20mg and it is very slow recovery.. I have had my side effects starting on week 2-3 and they have been going on for weeks.. Fluoxetine is more kind of energising antidepressant, so if you unable to sleep than better start taking it in the morning instead of night and see if it helps. It is getting much worse before it gets better, i was struggling with increased anxiety, fogginess, lost of appetite, depression, insomnia, night sweats and etc. But slowly those side effects eased up. I am still struggling with anxiety, specially in the morning but just have to push through and tell yourself that it will get better.

You are not alone, you can msg me anytime if you need..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.