Early diagnosis of Osteoarthritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been diagnosed as having osteoarthritis in my knee but also have it in my right 5 vertebrae.

I have other aches and pains and think they are probably the same. What can I do to slow the progression down and control the discomfort?

Thank you Lally

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I take glucosamine sulphate. Two doses of 1000 mg per day, with a meal. I get the kind which is a capsule, not a hard tablet or caplet. I do exercises (from various physiotherapists over the years) to maintain range of motion and muscle strength. Thigh muscles, for example, are a key to keeping knees from getting worn out too quickly, and muscles that line the spine help to support the vertebrae.

I believe that exercises like tai chi are also helpful.

Avoid using nsaids (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.) too often, unless for treating a headache or something, not as a daily treatment for arthritis discomfort. They actually interfere with cartilage regeneration. Glucosamine has the opposite effect. Over time it helps to maintain cartilage.

If you live in the UK or some other countries (not North America) you can try a product called Flexiseq which may help your knee to work more smoothly and help prevent damaged cartilage from hurting.

I've had OA for over thirty years and still quite mobile and not in much pain although I do get stiff.

You'll find a slightly more active community on the HealthUnlocked website.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.