Early medical retirement

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 56 yrs old Andrade a diagnosis of Fibromyligia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome can any one tell me does this come under a recognised Disability in th UK ? Has anyone been successful in obtaining early medical retirment and if so did you get tier one or tier two ? My GP will support my application for early medical retirment can anyone suggest any other evidence I could provide for my application ? Any advice at all I would be grateful it's extremely debilitating painful tiring condition I am currently off work on a three month fit note and worried they will terminate my employment as I cannot fulfill entirely my job description use to my condition it's not for the want of trying I am permanently exhausted and in pain my bones and joints hurt so bad I am tender all over thanks Harriet

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Harriet,

I'm not sure about the early retirement issue, but it is possible to get ESA and PIP if you have fibro. This of course depends on the symptoms you have as well. I would have thought that the CAB would be able to advise you better though.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you what is ESA PIP and CAB I am sorry I don't know what these mean. My symptoms are so severe it was my doctor that advised mecical retirment. Thank you or your advice.....Harriet X 
    • Posted

ESA is a benefit which is given instead of Job Seekers allowance to people who are ill in one way or another and so cannot work. PIP is in place of disability benefit and given to people who have physical or mental problems regardless of whether they work or not. 

CAB is the Citizens Advice Bureau, you can phone the one local to you, either look them up in the phone book or on Google. They will be able to tell you which benefits may be available to you, and direct you to how to get the forms and will either be able to help you fill them in or tell you of a local charity who will help you. It's worth getting help filling them in.

• Posted

Thank you .... I will let you no how I get on ...Harriet
    • Posted

Yes ok, and if you need anything else pm me anytime.

take care 😊

• Posted

Hi Harriet:

I don't know how your health system works in the UK. But here in the States it is quite different. In the UK, you have one of the best medical care than here Ithe states, it is quite different. I believe in the UK, you have one of the best medical care than here in the USA for the general population. Of course if you are rich, then that is an exception. I also have FMS and CFS. This started many years ago and steadily gotten worse. Add to that and other medical problems enter in it too. The worst part is the constant pain and having to take pain meds to help with it. Try explaining that to a doctor here and like myself I have been told that it is all in my head or just a hypochondriac. Because I take pain meds, I have been accused of being a junkie. You being younger than myself, 56 compared to me being 77, there is so much more wear and tear of your body. Like an old car having parts wearing out. Here, you would have to fight tooth and nail to explain that is a reason for retirement and you be laughed at. ha, ha. I had a hell of a time going on disability here because of having 2 back and a neck fusion surgeries. It took an attorney to get my disability approved after 2 denials. Ialso had to pay my lawyer their fees which came out of check that was paid to me for 18 months of retroactive payment. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't really know how it works where you live. The only advice I can give you is how you fill out the paperwork and what you enter is important to the decision of whether you get disability or not. I don't know if your doctor can be the sole source for your evaluation and you have to see a doctor that the UK provides, then that would be the determination of whether your disability would be approved. I had a problem with that as well. I still had to see the doctor the State provided. They made the final decision. All I can say is wish you well and hope that you wi) be approved. Thanks for writing.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply it's much appreciated I will let you no how I get on, I wish you well ......Harriet X 
  • Posted

Your welcome Harriet. Anytime you need help, we are always here for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.