Early morning anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.   I have been on citalopram for 7 weeks. First 5 at 10mg and last two weeks on 20mg.  

I’m feeling ok and generally much more manageable. 

But looking for some tips from people here on dealing with that early morning anxiety.  You know - the moment you wake up and bang it’s there again!   

It does wear off when I’m up but I just wanted to see how others deal with this to see if I can do anything differently. 

Currently I do the Dr Claire Weekes method of loosen and accept!   

Interested to see how people manage this differently. 

Thanks.  

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Good morning babysteps,

I'm on my 8th week and am having a very similar experience. I have seen improvement in a lot of areas but my mornings are still full of anxiety and I have to really push to get myself to get up and go to work. Once I've been there a few hours the edge wears off. I am also trying to use the relax and accept approach but lots of times I catch myself ruminating and stuck in a negative cycle. I do try to practice mindfulness meditation which helps. Sorry I dont have any better ideas, just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this struggle.

• Posted

Hello Matthew, different things work for different people. I find meditation and mindfulness on waking up actually makes me worse. There are opiniins that too much of it while depressed, encourages you to ruminate and stay in bed. It's undeniable very good for you, particularly anxiety. However, I am wary of doing too much, as it encourages me to stay in bed. Each to their own, but something to be wary of. Found it very good when mildly depressed or anxious, but addictive if severely depressed like I am now. Now i sit up in bed and vape, preparing to get up, then get up immediately get up when I start getting anxious. Strange thing to do, semi getting up, getting ready to get up properly.

• Posted

Iam the same way Nigel..I got worst with the cbt meditation talk therapy..not good for me...
    • Posted

I didnt want to say it out right, but I've done a fair bit of self hypnosis and meditation, which are similar. Works okay if not too depressed, or ocassiinally. However, if severely depressed, it encourages me to day dream negative thoughts, ie rumination. Daydreaming and rumination are classic symptoms of depression, so it can make it worse. They are arguments that support This, and those that say it's fine to do. Each time I've got into it, it made me worse, but when I did it, I did quite a lo. Like i said though, others say it's fine for depression, but not for me.

• Posted

Actually, just to clarify, if I hadn't done meditation for a while, first couple of times I tried it again, it helped. Then I would do it more often, and that's when it made me worse.

• Posted

You are absolutely correct nigel, different things and approaches work for different people. I am part of a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program and practice under the guidance of a teacher. I usually dont practice as soon as I wake and I do shower right away and get ready, but if it has been a couple hours and I still find myself ruminating on negative thoughts I'll meditate. Lots of times it will help me break the cycle, for awhile at least, as the whole point is to learn to accept whatever it is you are feeling but not letting it identify you and control how you behave . And acceptance does not equate to liking how you feel, it more means being able to come to terms with this is how I feel right now and I cannot always change it, but I have the right to decide how you react to my feelings.

• Posted

It is actually quite simple if you take time to study and practice. I did not decide to do this just to relieve anxiety it is an entire lifestyle I have chosen to learn to be more loving and kind to myself and in turn become more loving and kind across all platforms of my life.
    • Posted

I'm glad it works for you. One of my yoga teachers has studied under a well known Buddhist teacher, and days it cured her depression. I just don't find that it works for me.

• Posted

Found jumping straight into shower and dressing for the day was best.
    • Posted

When I was at my worst a cold shower would zap my anxiety quickly...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.