Early RA comes and goes?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with RA and decided to think about things before going down the methx route as it has such awful side effects and most importantly lowers immune system (I have COPD so I am very prone to dreadful chest infections). I find I am quite ok during the day, minor aches and pains, mainly in the legs but at night its a different matter and its getting worse . Can anyone give me some advice please as to the best course of action for me? thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm not sure why the doctors prescribe Methatrexate. It seems to be their first go to drug in the battle against RA but my experience is it caused increased pain and fatigue esp 2 days after taking it each week. I could be wrong and this is my only experience but I did not begin improving until I started taking Humira. I probably should be a spokesperson for this company but I'm so grateful for the pain to have gone away. But, if you are not having too much pain in daytime maybe your doctor could try a little prednisone. Also, Ibuprofen can reduce swelling and pain. Oh, and I hear great things about adding Turmeric into your diet. Good luck and please keep us up to date with how you are doing. Remember, you are not in this alone.

• Posted

Hi Pat

I decided against taking the drugs when i was diagnoses and spent some time searching the web for alternatives.

I did metabolic typing and found i was eating all the wrong things for my body's metabolism. Principally grains.. especially wheat, rye, oats and corn but also soy and vegetable oils. Switched to coconut oil, butter and lard for cooking. Stopped eating nightshade vegetables ( tomatoes potatoes peppers chillis and eggplant) and stopped most fruits and dairy. All my swelling and pain was gone in a week and so was my irritable bowel syndrome which I'd had for about 13 years and a back problem I'd had since age nine. I'm now 48 still pain free and in better health than ever.

I also took a product called Neprinol for a while. Seemed to really help. These days i eat pretty well whatever i want but do avoid soy and sugar and gluten grains.

I also know 2 other people who had the same results as me with their RA from this approach. Doc's say diet has nothing to do with RA.. i can tell you they are wayyy wrong on that.

Hope this gives you hope!

• Posted

Oh and i should say that Ive been pain free for 9 years now.

• Posted

I know what you mean. I was diagnosed three years ago after having found I had a high RF. I don’t have any symptoms worse than people with arthritis. There’s no deformity. Right now I feel normal. Right away two different rheumatologists wanted to put me on those terrible RA meds. A doctor friend of mine said if you feel OK and you can function normally there’s no need to get on those terrible meds.

• Posted

I have also been struggling with the Methotrexate it makes me so tired and I can barely work and have had weight gain, however the Dr says it doesnt cause weight gain. I had some physical therapy on my foot with ultrasound which helped me a lot and have been going to a lady who specializes in foot reflexology. I am also on a lot of other RA meds, which I tolerate but I struggle with taking the Mex and have cut dowm my dose. I have started working out some mildly and that has made me feel better and helps me get some energy back. the side effects of all these drugs are very scary. I hope you find something that works for you.

• Posted

Hi, You don't say just what happens at night but I just wanted to tell you my experience. I am on Methotrexate and Hydrochl oquinine and have minor aches and pains during the day but night time was another matter. Aches in my legs and also my legs would jump. It was agony! Then I read a post on another forum from a man who has similar problems and suggested Magnesium supplements.I have been taking them for three months and it has made a difference. I still get some pain but I don't cry with it anymore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.