Early retirement on health grounds

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone help i have severe psoriatic arthritis coealics and have just been diagnosed with pbc as well these are all auto immune system disorders. My problem is rhat whenever i see a profeßional they always say why are you still working? You shouldnt be however i like to work cos it takes my mind offthings but have unfortunately now got to the stage where i feel it may be riht to givve up work i just worry that i will have no money to live on !! I do.get dla for care at mid and mobility at high but someone help please

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Your employer should pay you SSP for a maximum of 28 weeks, if this is available to you and it should be unless you have a zero hour contract, then you must claim this first before claiming any other benefits. One month before this is due to run out you can then start a claim for Contribution Based ESA providing you've paid enough National Insurance contributions in the last 2 tax years. To be able to claim SSP you will need a fit/sick note from your GP to give to your employer.

I would a advice you not to hand your notice in with your employer until after you've spoken to ACAS, (you can google these for more info) these will give you all the advice you need about your current employment situation.

You say you claim DLA, you'll soon be asked to apply for PIP as all those that were 65 or under in April 2013 will be asked to apply for PIP. They are just behind with all the invites.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.