Early stages at 26??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Woke up with shortness of breath. The next day I stopped smoking. I was a pack a day for 9 years. Now I'm short of breath for 18 days. Some days feel worse. I had a chest xray done and it said mild hyperinflation. After I've done my own research it scares me. My step mom has it really bad and my mom has it but not as bad. I don't have wheezing, or pain. Just feels like my airways are blocked, there's a bubble like thing in the middle of my chest and I can't hardly breathe. Dr said It could be early stages. That doesn't help me by saying "could be". I need more answers. I'm scared rolleyes 26 year old pretty healthy female.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would go to a pulmonary Dr n get a CT SCAN TO MAKE SURE!IF IT RUNS IN THE FAMILY. .....LUNGS PROBLEMS?
  • Posted

Hi it would be unusual to be diagnosed with copd at your very young age unless there was a genetic link (Alpha1 Deficiency).   Ask your doctor to test you for this as it is only a simple blood test.  If this is genetic it would run in your immediate family.  Does any blood relation have it apart from your mum?  Is or was your mum a smoker?

The usual age for non genetic copd to be diagnosed is in the forties/fifties and usually follows many years of smoking (more than 9 years).   Your symtoms are more likely to be the result of giving up smoking.  What the medical people don't tell you is that cigarette smoke has a sophoric effect on your lungs and when you stop that effect stops.  To this end you can often feel more breathless and cough which is your lungs clearing all the gunk out.  

Unless you think there could be a genetic link I would give it another good 3/4 months to see if it wears off and if not go back to the doctor and ask for a spirometry test.  This would diagnosed copd.   Or it could be asthma.  I was told by my doctor that my smoking didn't cause asthma but it did trigger it off and it's possible this has happened to you.  The test for asthma is a peak and flow test. 

I hope this is helpful.   x

• Posted

Thank you for the quick reply. I noticed the shortness of breath the day before I decided to give up smoking. That's what scared me to stop. Woke up feeling short of breath and felt better in the eventing so I continued to smoke and when I woke up the next day and literally couldn't even inhale another cigarette I said I was done and got rid of them all. I haven't smoked a cigarette now in 19 days. Since then I've felt my body change like the mild cough and I've alsonly felt like I have worsened circulation. The last blood work I've had done showed a low in my hemoglobin and my platelets are high. That was before I stopped smoking. I want to ask my Dr for another blood test to see if they've changed. My dad is 53 and has been a heavy smoker for years and has never had any problems. My mom has copd and she's had bronchitis etc. Cancer runs on her side of the family and my dad's brother passed away from smoking years ago as well. I am not too sure if the family has a history of lung problems but I come from a big family of smokers and ex smokers. The Dr said it isn't unheard of to be diagnosed this young. I saw another forum of a 28 year old lady who was also diagnosed a year ago on here. Makes me so sad. I dont want to have a hard time breathing all my life

• Posted

No it isn't unheard of but it is very unusual.  Your shortness of breath is much more likely to be the results of giving up smoking rather than copd so the odds are very much in your favour.   If you do have it then you will be very mild and inhalers would sort out any breathing problems. 

Why not join a quit smoking site?  There is a very good one on Health Unlocked (google it) and they will provide you with all the motivation you need to stay off the cigs and share their own experiences with you.  x

• Posted

I have no problemore with not smoking. I gave it up easily because I couldnt breathe. It's not due to giving up smoking it occurred before I quit it's the reason I quit

• Posted

Well it's up to you but I just thought on a quit site you will be able to ask other peoples experiences and whether they had the same thing which happened to you.  You might get some answers then.  x

• Posted

I agree,I personally think u ought to have a CT SCAN JUS TO B ON THE SAFE SIDE. Just have a CT Scan done jus make sure it is or not? COPD *JUST MY OPINION *
  • Posted

I really think u need to get tested for genetic (COPD) !JUS MY OPINION.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.