Ears blocked and muffled couple weeks now and not clearing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi...I have had blocked ears for nearly 2 weeks now and even though i was prescribed steroid drops its still not clearing...they are muffled with a droning noise which is very annoying...I have had chronic sinitus for a few years now and think it may be related but its so annoying and cannot hear properly...any one else experience similar as Its driving me mad and wondering will it eventually clear itself...thanks for any advice that might reassure me

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear carol34824, 

You might need to have your ears examined for any blockage by wax or flaky skin debris which could be removed by microsuction (the safest and most thorough method of examining and removing blockages of the outer ear canal) and possibly have a hearing test afterwards, including a tympanogram, if the ear canal is free of blockage and your symptoms continue following the microsuction.

• Posted

Yep, had this many times.  sometimes it clears up but sometimes it is clogged behind the ear drum either due to a closed eustation tube or the fluid could have jelled and this is called glue ear which has to be suctioned out by an ent.  If you have taken steroids, its probably the glue ear thing.  What they do to mine is that they numb it in the office and use a syringe to perferate the eardrum then suction it out.  Most ents dont like doing this but sometimes it needs to be done.  You dont want fluid just sitting behind your eardrum, this could lead to another infection.
    • Posted

I was talking about ear microsuction which does NOT involve perforating the eardrum.
    • Posted

Yes, I see what you are talking about.  I was talking about if the fluid is BEHIND the eardrum as what happens to mine.  If it doesnt drain thru the eustatition tube and it jells, this is how they remove it, I've had it done multiple times and know the procedure.
  • Posted

dear carol, it might clear on its own, but you need to see your GP again to examine your ears and to advise what to do next, depending on what the ear examination shows.

• Posted

Hi Carol, I have the same droning sound that appears to be coming primarily from my left ear. It is most noticeable at night time and began about 2 months ago. I was also prescribed steroids by a emergency room doctor and now have a mri coming up the first week of January by a ent. Would you like to be posted on the findings since it appears to be so similar to your symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.