ears blocked/clogged

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

Lately my ears have been blocked. Like my hearing feels really reduced. The other day I went to the doctor and he checked my ears. He said they were perfect. Is there anything else that could be wrong ? He did check them twice. And I thought this would go away but it's not and I really don't like it. Any advice ? Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel.  what other symptoms do you have?  Do you have tinnitus (noise in ears), pressure in the ears, hearing loss?  Do you get dizzy (vertigo)?
    • Posted

Hiya as a matter of fact I actually do have a very high pitched ringing in my left ear. Especially today and I feel really weak aswell. Also at my left ear today was so warm and it felt a bit numb but on my face aswel. I do at times get dizzey but not that much.
  • Posted

Rachel, have you seen an ENT (ear/nose/throat) doctor?  ENT will administer a hearing test to see if the audiogram indicates hearing loss.  If you have not already seen one, please consider doing so.  A good ENT will give you accurate diagnosis.  If you do have hearing loss in low decible range with tinnitus, ear pressure (fullness in ear) and virtigo you might possibly have Meniere's Disease which is an inner ear disease.  Too early to tell yet and it's unlikely you have MD but a good ENT will know for sure.  Let me know what you find out.  If it is MD I can give you some good advice....I've had it for 40 years.  Good Luck.

• Posted

I will to be sure. Thank u so much. Greatly appreciate it
  • Posted

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem - 6 weeks now.

First visit to Doctors: "it's a cold, it'll get better in a couple of weeks.

6 weeks later, second visit to the doctors: "take these antibiotics, it'll get better"

2 weeks later: third visit "if not better in a week, we'll talk about ENT.

Very frustrating. Flying abroad soon, so worried abut the risks.

• Posted

It is very annoying and then having to keep going back because they were wrong the first few times. Hope u get it sorted
  • Posted

Yea I have this problem too, but only in my right ear. I saw an ENT and did an audiogram, and my hearing is perfect and he said that there is no fluid in my ear. He said it's inflammation in the ear from a cold that's causing my muffled hearing, ringing in the ear. He said it should be back to normal within a couple of months, and it's only been 2.5 weeks but it's already driving me crazy.

• Posted

Tyler, if you do have inflamation in your ear you may want to ask your ENT about a steroid injection into the middle/inner ear that should relieve the inflamation and tinnitus as well as improve your hearing.  It's a rather benign proceedure done in the office by an ENT that specializes in ear problems.  Good luck.

• Posted

Well I did panic last week and went to a GP who gave me prednisone, which I  took for about a week before I saw the ENT. I felt like it did pretty much nothing. The ringing isn't bad at all, it's only this weird sorta clogged feeling in my right ear that is bugging me. I might go and get a second opinion from another ENT.

• Posted

Tyler, oral prednisone sometimes is effective for inner ear swelling but the side affects can be problematic.  An intratympanic steriod injection directly into the inner ear is more effective with no side affects.  You might want to inquire about it with your new ENT.  Also try to choose one that specializes in inner ear problems and can/will administer the steroid....many ENT do NOT. 
  • Posted

You may have an ear infection if your ears are warm and you feel weak. These are indications your immune system is working. If you start to get a fever i would take antibiotics. You don't want to end up with meningitis by "waiting it out".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.