Ears / Hearing

Posted , 2 users are following.

For many years I have suffered from tinitus in both ears, but after each bout of tinitus my hearing goes for up to two minutes. I finally told my GP that it is now becoming unbearable. My GP took a look and told me that I need to see an ENT specialist as my ear drum is damaged and my ear is weeping and it is not wax. He has sent a sample of and for the results to go to the specialist.

Has anyone had this problem in the past.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Tinnitus seems to be caused by a variety of things, but the one thing I've learned over time is that it's not just "one of those things" that happens to us as we age.  It's our body telling us something is wrong.  

    In my case, I developed tinnitus because I had a moderate hearing loss since childhood and never pursued hearing aides.  So as I aged and the loss increased incrementally, eventually my brain started generating a signal (which I "hear" as tinnitus).  Had I gone and gotten hearing aides earlier in life, I wouldn't have tinnitus now.  

    It can also be an indicator of high blood pressure, stroke, and ear infections or other complications.  So for anyone just getting tinnitus, don't shrug and carry on.  Go see a general practitioner for a consult.


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi lindleyk

      I can confirm that I have had tinitus for many years (at least 15 years) but recently getting more regular. My BP is ok, as it was checked when my GP looked at my ears. But when the tinitus wears off it could be up to two minutes before my hearing returns. Finally my GP said that when he looked, all that he could see is a ruptured ear drum, with what he describes as a clear liquid/puss and to finish with that I have never had anything on loud as I can't tolerate it, whether it is the tv or the CD which is very rare.

      But thxs for your feedback lindleyk.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I hear you.  It sounds like your "one of those things" is some kind of infection.  Hope your GP finds a way to handle what sounds like an infection.  Ouch.  Best wishes.
      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up