Ears won't unpop after 17 days...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

First off, wow, it's nice to know there is a forum to talk about this. I think my family is starting to think I'm bonkers. My problem started about 17 days ago when I flew from Oklahoma to California (2 flights), with a head cold. I didn't take a decongestant, and by the time I landed in CA, my ears were so full. I wasn't too disturbed since I thought they would pop within a few hours, or overnight at the very worst. Nope. Nothing ever happened. I saw a Dr about 6 days later and he gave me Predisone for 5 days, and ear drops for my ear infection he saw. I did that, but no relief. After the 5 days, I had a hearing test, because the Dr had been nervous that I had hearing loss, so I saw an audiologist, and there was conductive (or temporary for us non-medical folks) hearing loss in my left ear. I told the audiologist I was supposed to go to Paris in about 2 weeks with my family for my birthday, but couldn't go with my ears like this, so she kindly referred me to an ENT, who saw me 2 days after that. The ENT/ head and neck surgeon just blew into the room, and said she saw the audiologist's notes and that I needed a myringotomy, and so she did it in office. She numbed my ear and then vaccumed it out, and she said there wasn't a whole lot of fluid, but some. She also told me my ears would feel better immediately after. I told her there was no change after she did it, but she said it could take a day or so. I waited and waited, but no change.

I'm 51 and have never in my life had ear problems. Another strange part of this problem is my ears are soooo much more muffled/under water feeling when I first wake in the mornings for about the first 2-4 hours. Also, my husband says he thinks, but isn't sure that my snoring has been worse since this all began. Also when I sleep, my throat has been feeling much more dry when I wake up.

Anyone else have this where it's worse after sleep? Even if I nap for just 30 minutes, the ears seals up worse. I'm just so exhausted of this condition. Is it possible I have another condition that could be tied to my sleep or something since that makes it worse? Thanks so much for your replies. I have just cancelled my trip to Paris, which was supposed to be in about a week, because there is no way I feel like celebrating 😦. Plus I don't know if this condition would make flying painful...anyone try that?

Thanks so much!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.