Earwax blockage or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys,

I went to see the doctor 6 days ago about my ears being blocked and she said that both of are very blocked, one in particular more than the other. She said that I need to put olive oil in my ear and go back in 3 weeks time. Since I've been putting it in my ear, I've been having some weird symptoms.

-Nausea in the morning and waking up during night feeling like I'm going to be sick (I'm not)

-Ears feel blocked.

-One bad headache

-I feel slightly dizzy, it's not bad but it's quite noticeable.

-My eyes seem to lack focus when watching TV and whilst doing work on computer.

Are these the normal symptoms of ear wax blockage or could it be an ear infection?

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You could have labyrinthitis...a sense of dizziness and nausea caused by a problem in the inner ear. I think you should try to see your doctor again as you now have different symptoms and this needs attention. Its not serious,but can be very debilitating.
    • Posted

Hey Marina,

Thanks for the swift reply! So you think it could be more than just earwax blocking my ear?

What's the treatment for Labyrinthitis?

Thanks!

• Posted

Depends on how your doc diagnoses it.   Sometimes just rest for a few days will disperse it,but if it is caused by a middle ear infection you may get antibiotics.  Dont become dehydrated. Sometimes the feeling of nausea makes people go off their food and drink. But dont drink alcohol,which could make the symtoms worse.
  • Posted

Dear James, severe impaction of earwax can cause all the symptoms which you have described. You need to see an ear microsuction practitioner as soon as possible. Ear Microsuction is the safest and most thorough procedure for removing earwax when performed by an experienced clinician. It is pretty unlikely to respond to ear syringing or irrigation when the earwax is impacted deep in the ear canal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.