Earworm Help

Posted , 9 users are following.

A few weeks ago I replied to a young man who had songs going around his head all the time I think he'd been prescribed Prozac, well it's rubbed of on me for the last three days I've been plagued with two snippets of songs going round my head all the time, it's esoecially bad at night and I simply cannot sleep, I've tried a few remedies such as listening tithe whole songs, chewing gum but nothing is working' even during the day when I'm doing something it's still there and as you can imagine it's driving me nuts now.

I've spoken to my mental health care coordinator who said she will let my psychiatrist know abd ring me Monday. 

I try to block it out but doesn't last long, I try to ignore it but I can't, I'm really worried I'll have this long term, I'm finding myself breaking down crying because it's getting so consuming..

Tonight I'm going to go to bed and put ear buds in and listen to meditation music abd see if I fall asleep, I'm dreading another sleepless night with these songs going round and round.

Has anyone else had this symptom and gotten over it? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi , can you only hear music or you hear voices as well? X
  • Posted

Musical hallucination (MH) is the experience of hearing music when none is being played. Hearing sound that no-one else can hear is quite common, but the experience is normally of a simple sound such as a buzzing, ringing, or sizzling: this is known as tinnitus
  • Posted

Hi Aspinan had this symptom particularly bad few years ago. Comes and goes . Really I just kept thinking got get this out of my head, bit like the negative thoughts we get. You'll hopefully go through phases where you don't notice it. Drives us mad . Aga mentioned tinnitus, this is also annoying , a buzzy ringing but I don't notice it unless I'm sitting doing nothing. Just because anxiety makes us super sensitive and when zone in on everything then it seems really bad. My brother has tinnitus from an ear problem , he's stuck with it permanently , quite loud, mine is there more so if I focus on it, but luckily often never notice it. Hope yours lets up , it's frustrating , think your doing right thing trying to relax/ meditate??

• Posted

Thanks for replies, I do have mild tinnitus in my right ear as I'm a musician and didn't protect my ears until a couple of years ago, I use in ear monitors now, my problem is snippets of two songs which I keep on playing over and over in my head, I'm not hearing the actual song it's me whose singing it or mimicking the music.

Ive had it a couple of days and I can't stop focusing on it which I know will not make it fade or disappear. 

Its proper getting to me and I've engaged in the what ifs so its feeding my anxiety, I'm just hoping I can sleep tonight. 

• Posted

Really does sound like what I had, mentioned it to my doc and he said it was similar to the repetitive negative thinking. Our anxiety makes us gonover itvand over it, thought I was a bit mad, comes and goes, you minght get up tomorrow and not price it👌. It may start up again but mine usually goes when my minds off it. For me it is just frustrating that I can't just stop it. What's worse it could be Dolly Parton or steps or something, it's like our minds always have to be full of some kind of crap or just general worry. I sometimes think I will wear my brain out😬??

• Posted

Hi, Any update on this? I've recently acquired similar earworm issue sad

• Posted

I've been dealing with this for over 10 years, been trying to find the right doctor, it is very annoying, I try to block the song out daily, its been hard living like this, i just want it to go away forever, if you ever get any relief just let me know so i can find the right doctor and get relief

• Posted

Hi, im sorry to hear you've had it so long. mine lasted two to three weeks. I have no idea what started it or exactly why it went away. I just distracted myself as best I could with other tunes that I actually liked as opposed to the hymn going round in my head continuosly. I am reluctant to say it's gone in case it comes back. Total distraction seemed to be the only thing that helped. Having two young kids helped with that! At first hours would go by without it then eventually days and then back to normal. Good luck .

• Posted

Hey Aspinan,

Hope you will get this message. But I too suffer from the same thing. I have an earworm constantly throughout the day and at night when I'm trying to sleep. What I found helps me at night is playing some relaxing meditation music to help me sleep. I've been doing this for 3-4 years. As for trying to address the earworm problem itself, I've done some research and think its a form of OCD and have been seeing a psychiatrist and have been prescribed Prozac for it. I haven't seen any results or improvements yet as I just started but fingers crossed!

• Posted

Hi. I'm currently experiencing the same thing. has it worked out for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.