Easy digestible food ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi dear friends

Can you tell me easy digestible foods ? because I am having severe Gerd + upset stomach

Thank you all

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey,

I know how you feel, I have days like that too! Look up FODMAPs - sticking to low fodmap food has helped me to some degree. I find leafy greens (cooked), potatoes, chicken, avocados and bananas help me on off days. I've taken a shine to pea and ham soup too!

If you get bloated, it might be to do with bacterial imbalance in your gut, and the bloating pushes your stomach up which contributes to the GERD. I think this is what is happening in my case. Either that or a hernia. It's good to check in with your GP anyway. Hope you find some help!

• Posted

Hi mj

I am Looking at it since yesterday, but what makes me confused is that how Can you figure out the triggering food, while it takes long time to relax from the gerd. I stopped many foods because I thought that they are the triggering my symptoms. Thank you for the information.

• Posted

I think we're all slightly different and perhaps have to find our own triggers and calming foods. Now, many mentioned bananas but that makes me worse!? Somebody also mentioned wine...and yes, that agrees with me! !When I'm really bad, I tend to stick to plain foods, such as chicken, mashed potatoes, peas, sweetcorn and carrots are fine but need to keep away from leafy veg. I too like milk, yogurt and ice cream. So from all of this, I think the main theme is stick to plain foods, no spices or overly fatty foods. Good luck, I've had GERD for 11yrs now.

• Posted

Hi jokow

That is the only option left for me and I have to try stick to plain foods. Thank you

• Posted

It's boring and can be difficult, but anything is better than these horrible symptoms. Good luck, hope you find your personal solution. Obvs don't know how stressful your life is, but mine is full of anxiety, and symptoms are so much worse with stress. Some people swear by yoga and accupuncture to help their digestion!

• Posted

I was an active and exercising person but I stopped exercising because of my symptoms, when ever my heart works harder than Gerd symptoms arise, and am also very stressed as I think and have severe anxiety. I met an emergency Doctor today and she told me that gerd might even go but it may leave stress and anxiety behind so I may have attacks similar to the gerd attacks yet, made lots of blood test but nothing came up, waiting for endoscopy and ultrasound.
  • Posted

Hi Mo,

I had problems with food too - prior to having a 270 deg fundo op 2 years ago. It's a case of trial and error. I found I tolerated easy to digest foods - but I don't have any food allergies - I had a hiatus hernia which meant the top of my stomach didn't close properly. I could eat white bread, potatoes, pasta, chicken, white fish, white rice, I could eat fresh tomato - but not processed tomato (like puree or tinned). I also was ok with a little bit of butter, cream and pro-biotic yogurts. I could not tolerate any processed foods at all - could eat most veg as long as it cooked from fresh. Really hope you find something. Try not to eat for a couple of hours before bed - that can really help too.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Gennie

it looks like my problems is increasing, but few weeks ago I was tolerating many foods, but none of them now Since I started taking omeprazole, I want to stop the omeprazole and try only chicken, leat meat beef, cooked carrots and bananas for few days if it workes. How is your hernia now and symptoms ? Thank you for the information

• Posted

Hi Mo,

Since my operation I have been totally symptom free - thats over 2 years ago. I could not tolerate some of the meds they had me on at the time. When you get your scan and endoscopy you should hopefully get some answers. As for now - just see what works food and drink wise - I was quite good tolerating some dairy - it was all the wholemeal stuff like bran and oats that totally killed me at the time - and I eat them all the time now - as I don't have reflux anymore. 

• Posted

Hi Glennie

That is Great that you are symptoms free after the operation, I had endoscopy 4 months ago and the dr didn't tell me that I have hiatus hernia and I didn't know about it, I have an other endoscopy in the coming weeks, so does it tell the h hernia well ? or should I ask for other tests?

• Posted

They would have told you if you had a hiatus hernia. If you are having another endoscopy they must have seen something otherwise they would not be repeating it, unless the first was inconclusive. I hope that they can get you sorted out - i know how horrible it is xx
    • Posted

Hi Glennie,

I also experience severe acid reflux/GERD and have done for the last 3-4 years. I have an endoscopy booked for the coming Monday (3rd one yet!)- may I ask what kind of surgery you had? I have looked into surgical options like LINX bracelet (basically magnetic balls that go around the upper sphincter). Any advice would be great!

thank you

• Posted

Hi Nosh,

I had a laproscopic 270 degree fudoplication - hernia was repaired at the same time. No reflux since then - done over 2 years ago. It's a looser wrap than the 360 degree. I had a excellent surgeon - he preferred to do 270 degree as it has the same effect as the 360 - but you can still belch and vomit - must admit I have not been sick yet - so can't comment on that!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.