Eat nuts and seeds?

Posted , 9 users are following.

So now doctors say it's okay for patients suffering from diverticular disease to eat nuts and seeds.  So why is it when I eat nuts and seeds I get a flare up?  I just spent the summer enjoying wonderful whole grain breads and rolls covered with pumpkin seeds and desserts with poppy seeds thinking I no longer had to worry about my diverticulae, that seeds were not the culprit.  

Of course the stressors in my life haven't changed, so do I blame the stress or the seeds for the two weeks of diarrhea and pain and the eventual need for codeine, antibiotics and a liquid diet.  After three days, I'm finally feeling relief, but do I ban the seeds?  I think so.  Anyone else skip them?

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

no raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries. fine with tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas (yup, they have seeds), nuts I chew to a paste.  My main trigger is red meat(steaks, roast, moose, lamb) and ground round meat unless I chew it to a pulp. Learned mainly through trial and error..lots and lots of errors...

I don't think you need to completly ban the berries. If I  want berries I will blend them into a smoothy consistancy and strain it through cheese cloth to catch all the bits and pieces. Then I'll freeze it in ice cube trays and when I want a smoothie I add probiotic yougurt or keifer milk and crushed ice and blend again. also add some protein powder to give that extra boost. It tastes really good and you can add extra frozen fruit like mangos and cantelope if you like.

• Posted

I have a problem with most meats ever since I had my gallbladder removed.  I just can't digest the fats.  Turkey and pork (depending on how it's cooked) are probably the easiest on my stomach.  I've also noticed that there is no way I'm going to be able to digest meat at night, so if we go out to a restaurant to eat late, I get fish or a vegetarian meal.
    • Posted

Hi

That's all I eat also when I am out. Never know when the IBS is going to kick in. Even at work I am very careful. It's no fun but much better than excruciating pain

Vivian

• Posted

So true.  I'm even thinking I may try gluten free and see if that helps at all.  Who knows.  I certainly eat my share of wheat and maybe I shouldn't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.