Eaten something yesterday

Posted , 3 users are following.

I must have eaten something yesterday that As kicked my DD off. Been on the loo 4 times already no blood not much pain going to see how I get on this morning Might take Imodium to try and stop it

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Suggest you write down everything you ate yesterday so you can check against it in future.  It will help you identify foods to avoid in future.

What you are describing is perfectly normal for me and is not a flare up.  I go several times in the morning, in fact 4 - 6 times a day.  Additional bowel movements are very common with DD, not a flare up each time.  An empty bowel is a good thing as it clears out everything to prevent trapping and infection.  I urge you not to take immodium just yet - the more you stop and start things, the less chance you give your bowels to settle into a pattern that will become your new normal.  Sometimes an upset tummy is just an upset tummy, not diverticulitis.  Please - give yourself time.

• Posted

I already took Imodium. But what you are saying sounds good advice I will remember it for next time. I had a small amount of my home made beef stew and then a small amount of pasta and tuna I think the stew was to rich for me The dr is giving me a antibiotic prescription but I will hold off taking it to see how I get on today. Thankyou for you advice I really appreciate it
    • Posted

Hi Susan

Regarding your beef stew, some people find red meat a trigger.  Also the gluten you get in pasta, so it could be either.  One of my triggers is gluten so I get gluten free pasta and I honestly can't tell the difference.  I also get gluten free bread, which has really reduced my bloating.

This might help you understand the effects of different medications on DD.  Since my DD has developed, I have become very susceptible to bladder infections.  Last week, after 7 days trying to convince myself it was just my imagination this time, I did a dip strip which confirmed infection.  The duty doctor gave me a different antibiotic, which within 12 hours stopped the worse of the symptoms.  It also caused one day of diarrhoea, followed by 2 days of constipation (something I NEVER get).  Nothing to do with my DD, just side effects of the medication.  So I know once I finish the course, I will have to wait until I get back into my normal rythym, and not interfere.  It's also a bad idea to mix prescribed medication with self medication as one can affect the operation of the other.  My cousin did this and ended up in a very bad way, ill for over a week.

• Posted

My Dr prescribed Imodium for me that's why I took I suppose it's like anything else tried and error. My husband is going to pick up my antibiotics for me I had them last Christmas and they sorted me out I will let you know the name when I get them. I find it really strange that since I found out that I had DD I seam to have it all the time befor that I would just get on with it. Maybe I am abit panicky when I have a upset stomach

• Posted

I am guessing this is the first time you have ever had to deal with a chronic illness, rather than one which clears up quickly with antibiotics.  This unfortunately is a condition which you will have for the rest of your life.  Some people are lucky and the symptoms subside after a few weeks.  For others it can take months and you are always left with some low level niggling pain.  A permanent change in bowel habits is another side effect.  Your confidence seems to have been hard hit and that seems to be the most difficult thing for you to deal with.  I hope you get the reassurance you need from the posts on this Forum - we are or have all been through it.
    • Posted

Thank you for your message The only thing I have is osteoarthritis and I have learnt to live with it. Because I am not going out much due to needing toilet I am having more pain in my knee and hip and that isn't helping. Dr as given me antibiotics but I am going to see how I go before taking them

• Posted

Doesn't  sound like antibiotics are warranted with no blood, pain or fever, I agree with Felinia. Also it  is not necessarily what you ate the day before with DD it could be days ago as it can take days to develop so it might just be upset tummy.

• Posted

I have to agree with Felinia it's too soon to have developed DD only after 24 hours, does sound like an upset belly, but I would ditch the red meat, which is really hard to digest and stays in the gut an awful long time.

I've been practically a vegetarian since being diagnosed, but salads can be a bit of a minefield, fish is cool, as is chicken for me, haven't touched beef, I do miss the burgers, but there's a pretty good range of veggie burgers out there.

It's hard not to panic when you get pain and I often mistake period pain for DD, but it's usually localised low on the left side. I do stop eating as soon as I feel the pain and stay on clear liquids for at least the pain gets better that way the bacteria doesn't get a hold I take a strong probiotic every at to help my gut. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.