Eating after a hernia repair and fundoplication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had laproscopic surgery to repair a massive paraoesophageal  hernia just over 4 weeks ago. All went well and things seem to be going fine. However I was told by my surgeon to try some chicken about 3 weeks after the surgery and I also tried some mince meat yesterday. Both times this seems to have caused me to get an awful felling like something is stuck in my throat slight chocking feeling and despite been a 360 degree fundoplication I get incredible wind and burping.  I also think that eating bread may cause some problems.  Happy to leave these out but can anyone who has had a similar operation let me know how long it took before they were able to include, 'softer versions' of meat such as mince etc in their diet.  The feeling is awful and takes sometime, as in days, to subside. Has anyone had a similar problem?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

I didn't have a 360 - but a 270 - but I was told if anything stuck to go back to the previous stage of the diet that was comfortable. I don't have issues with mince - but I haven't tried beyond that stage yet - I'm in my 3rd week of recovery. I will probably progress a little faster than a nissen patient due to the wrap beeing a bit looser - but it's not without it's problems. (I think I'm starting with dumping syndrome)!  I was told not to try bread until week 6. 

• Posted

Hi Glennie

Thanks for the advise I'll keep off the bread and take a step back, I seem to manage well with fish. I do hope your not ending up with the dumping syndrome fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for you.

• Posted

Andrea,

It has been 5 months since I had laproscopic surgery for my giant paraesophageal hernia. If you cut up minced meat very ,very small you might be okay. I found baked fish was okay. I don't think I tried chicken for  2 months. Bread was taboo until 2 months also with my surgeon. I had a couple of episodes when food got stuck and it hurt like hell and then I discovered I could still throw up. It was some rice that wasn't cooked quite enough one time that caused the problem. My burping is not so bad anymore but the wind is still there , mostly in the evening. It can be very embarrassing , making it hard to go out in the evening. I do feel better and the worry about strangulation is gone now. 

Judy

• Posted

Judy,

Thanks for the advise. I wasn't really eating bread before to operation so quite happy to leave it alone at the moment. I'll maybe try mince again in a couple of weeks. I can certainly eat fish. I guess it's just trial and error but would rather not feel like this so any advise to avoid problems is welcome.  As I said I'm certainly better than I was no severe pain in the chest or down my left arm and as you say the worry of more serious problems and trips to A&E has gone.  

Thanks Andrea

• Posted

Andrea,

I was also told to avoid all gassy vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, beans . I did that for 2 months. In the first few months I had severe gas that would wake me up at night with pain and burping. I don't get the pain now. I'm hoping the flatuence eventually wears off but I've read that it could be permanent. I plan to go see my doctor and ask about it. 

When you decide to try bread , make it toast at first. I still occasionally have trouble with bread, mainly doughy bread. I just have to sit still until the pain goes away. 

Keep smiling

Judy

• Posted

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the tip on the bread and advise about avoiding gassy veg.  I do hope the gas isn't permanent, I don't think my partner could stand it! :-)

Best of luck at the doctors.

Thanks

Andrea

• Posted

I'm exactly 4weeks post laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication surgery. I actually had what s call ed a toupet wrap which is not the full Fundoplication wrap. I was told its less complications I'll be able to burp and if I get the flu I will be able to get sick if my body needs to. The restrictions for me have been very difficult. I'm an avid about exercise I've works very hasrd 3+ yrs losing over 60lbs. My surgery wasn't gerd related actually it was paradophagial hernia stage4. My entire stomach was in my chest cavity causing severe esophogial spasms which I thought were back spasms. Since surgery I'm finding it very difficult to know what to eat. I don't really have any concrete diet to follow. Which for me, knowing what to eat having a meal plan to follow works. But not having one I'm all o we the place. If I had a guide to follow it be much easier. Not to mention , Im also having early dumping issues. Gastric pains, gas, bloat, nausia and diarrhea within 15-45min of eating or drinking. I have no idea how im goin to return to work like this. I send hours running back and forth to the bathroom. I'm miserable, not as miserable as befor surgery but, miserable in a different way; If that males any sense. I was an avid exerciser, not being able to exercise is affecting my emotional state as well. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Will this dumping issie go away, will i e er feel better? Not to mention also my Dr discovered LG gallstones in my gallbladder too. I was referred to general surgeon for that. She wants to not do surgery.

As for the throat pain, I experienced that throat pain on 2 occasions. I was feeling great one day and grabbed a piece of bread not thinking and ate it... big mistake, soon as I swallowed I realized it. I immediately grabbed water only made matters worse. It caused bread to expand. The second time was roast beef. Took slice to nibble on was distracted in conversation and swallowed the food only to realize I didn't chew as much as I needed to. Won't make those mistakes again!

I do find drinking hot beverages help when eating. The food slides down better. Throat doesnt constrict as bad as it does with cold beverages.

Thanks for letting me share.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.