Eating after bowel resection.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. Some of you will know about my surgeries. I had a bowel resection in May 2018 and then I had an ileostomy for 3 months and then I had a reversal in August of last year. Been quite a slow recovery but my bowel function is good now but I am finding that certain foods are really upsetting my stomach. Almost like I've got super irritable bowel. It's a problem for me because I'm a vegetarian but I'm finding that things like cauliflower and certain seeds in crackers etc are really becoming a problem. My bowel function doesn't really change but I just feel sick and have pain. Can anyone advise that have been through these surgeries?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi,

ive had a bowel rection in june this year , ive been suffering from severe nausea for weeks now, ive got an ileostomy. and been told ive got to keep drinking your sickness might be stomach acid . im taking omprazole . .and it is easing the sickness . ive got an appt with surgeon next week . so will see what he says about it. im also hoping for a reversal . are you uk .

pat x

• Posted

Your nausea will resolve I'm sure . Its a big change for the body. I didn't have that ( had everything else though lol) Its now I'm having problems with food. I don't think it's acid i think its more my bowel trying to cope with different

Foods. Its one step forward and two steps back at the moment.

• Posted

hi,

just wondered was it your sigmoid colon they removed from , and was there a big bit removed .i had severe

diverticular desease . . and did you have to go through many tests before the reversal .

just wondered . hope you dont mind me asking .

pat .

• Posted

Hi Pat. I don't mind at all. I'm happy to help. It was the sigmoid, and about 8 inches if i remember correctly. I had an abscess and it was stuck all sorts of things. I only had to have one test before reversal. A special xray where they put dye into the bowel through the rectum with a tiny tube. It was painless and quick. It's to see that everything has healed nicely and there are no leaks. I was able to have it reversed after 3 months. Please feel free to ask anything else. If i can help with anything, i will.

• Posted

Hi

This Tuesday I am getting a descending colostomy to let my bowels rest. Have 4 abscesses and an ulcer in my rectum, that have been treated with 5 antibiotics, 16 days in the hospital etc. since July 9th to no avail. So now doing surgery and then in 6 months when things have calmed down they will cut out the portion of the sigmoid giving me issues.

When you say you had a reversal does that refer to the removal of the bag? What kind of colostomy did you have? Any insights appreciated.

Thank you,

Rhonda

• Posted

Goodness Rhonda you poor thing. You've been through a lot. My bag was an iliostomy on my right side, due to an abscess on my bowel stuck to my ureter, bladder etc. I was really worried about how i would manage the bag, but i was taught how to empty, change it etc after my op. I managed fine. I looked up what yours is and i think yours is on left? My reversal went very well. My bladder is a bit of a problem now though, i am seeing several doctors about that. I am happy to help you with any questions.

• Posted

Hi Rhiannon,

Your response brought tears to my eyes. To have understanding from someone who has been through a similar experience helps emotionally.

I have suffered from chronic migraines for over 15 years but I know approximately how long they will last. This has been a series of thinking I was healing to ultimately learning I am not..

You are right mine will be on the left and I will have it for 6 months. I am glad to hear you didnt have any issues with your bag ! I keep reading about people with them some trying to be funny and some being honest about the challenges! I have always struggled with self esteem and dressing properly and this is just going to be one more battle!

Did you have yours on to let things rest? Did they have to cut out any of your intestines?

Did they tell you that you might have some bladder issues after the reversal?

Lastly I just want to say thank you for taking time to respond to me and I am sorry for the pain you had to endure. I hope your doctors get the bladder thing figured out asap!

Take Care,

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda. I'm here whenever you need to get advice, worry, or if i can help at all. I had about 6 inches takes from my bowel ( i think, i can never remember) to let it rest while I healed. I too worried about self esteem, because I'm very particular about what being well groomed, smelling nice, just vanity really! Lol. But i was feeling lousy because of the abscess, so i felt better when it was gone. After the first few days in hospital, I was able to dmchange it myself with supervision and i managed fine. I had a few issues during the 3 months, dehydration being one, because with iliostomy the stuff coming out is very watery. Yours won't be i dont think. But i felt pretty good. I wasn't told if there would be bladder issues, but I'm 63, so menopause, as well as hysterectomy probably contributes to that. Actually, it has been great this week, so maybe it just needed time. But it comes and goes so we'll see. But my bowel works perfectly. Its been a year since my reversal. I came through both surgeries really well. Let's face it, they are big surgeries, especially the first, but it's surprising how quickly you heal. I hope I've helped. I'm in Australia, I don't know where you are or when you'll see this, but i will answer any questions as soon as i can. You are not alone. This forum is great for helping each other. Hear from you soon. Take care. Rhiannon.

• Posted

Rhiannon,

I live in the US, Australia looks beautiful. I hope to visit some day.

To clarify the steps of your surgery they gave you the iliostomy first and let your bowels rest and abscess heal and then cut out the troublesome intestine; correct?

Has it taken you over a year for your bowels to feel normal?

Did you have any prep to remove waste in your bowels before surgery?

Are you still working? If so how did this affect your work?

Thanks again:-)

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda. In my case, the bowel resection, removal/cleaning up of abscess and iliostomy was done in one surgery. I had that for three months, and then i was lucky enough for bowel to be healed enough for reversal. Had that done August 2017( the reversal) It has taken me a year to get back to feeling like my old self, but we had a house move in that time, very stressful, but planned before i had all these problems, so couldn't postpone it. It probably set me back a bit. I am retired luckily. My husband still works full time. I had no bowel prep before any surgeries. It may be different in the US . Some people bounce back a lot quicker than me, although i was very fit before any of this happened to me.

• Posted

Sorry Rhonda. Meany reversal done august 2018.

• Posted

Thank you for the clarification. I am glad to hear you weren't alone to deal with all of that. It has opened my eyes to how quickly your life can change.

I will let you know if I have any more questions and update you on my progress.

Thanks again for your help and support!

• Posted

Yes life can change very quickly. I lost o child to cancer in 1990 so i havent had it easy. I have raised 3 more. I have health anxiety already, so I found it all very challenging. But I'm still here, and ready to help any way I can. You can private message on this forum too if you need to. I'm glad I can help someone. I would love if you can keep me posted. The very best of luck, and remember, your not alone in this. Rhiannon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.