Eating foods containing fats prior to drinking

Posted , 4 users are following.

The literature I was reading on alcohol myths and facts this morning....suggested that eating pasta prior to drinking will not limit the effects of a hangover where eating things with more fat...like hamburger and steak will limit hangover effects.

​Other things I read that everyone may be aware of:

Never take Tylenol while drinking or after drinking as it can cause damage to liver and even death in rare cases.

​Coffee is the worst thing to drink the morning after...causes more dehydration.

Sports drinks and water are the best things we can do after a night of drinking.

Drinking in the morning...only prolongs the misery of a hangover..and potentially makes it worse because we didn't give the body time to recoop or rehydrate...making our dehydration worse.

​Wine and dark liquors or malt beers are the worst things to drink because they contain "tannin"...something that is harder for the body to process.  Whereas it said...regular beers and clear liquors are easier on the body..clear liquors like vodka.....hmmm...vodka caused me to cause so much more harm to myself than drinking beer.  It goes down too easy....and has a higher alcohol content.

​As we all know..there are no herbal cures and TIME and fluids are our best friends when recovering from a night of drinking.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The best thing the acute dietician said to me when I came out of hospital, is ignore all that rubbish usual advice you hear. Eat dairy, use butter not marg, eat decent cuts of meat with fat on, but not to much processed meat, our bodies contain plenty of fat and we need it to live well.

Carbs and packeted food, are the problems, don't eat ready made stuff.

We don't have Tylenol here, Panadol Nights is probably the closest, but we are well warned in this country to try and avoid paracetamol, unless of course you want to commit suicide. From what I hear, Americans take Tylenol like it was a vitamin pill to cure all ailments.

Yes, vodka may carry less of a hangover risk than the darker spirits, but then it does taste of p*ss. Even in my darkest moments, I would never drink any vodka that my wife had left in the house. I was never a big spirits drinker, I could never start with them, beer/cide/wine were my choices, and when I got full up, then I might finish off with some whisky and then it would be time to return from the pub and hit the sack.

• Posted

Hard liquor is just too hard on a person. Better to just stick to a couple of beers with water in between.
    • Posted

Hi janice...smile

​For some reason I would NEVER drink the water in between my beers which is why I needed intraveneous fluids when I entered the hospital for dehydration from all the drinking.  Very good practice...if someone can do it.

• Posted

Make yourself do it or a sports drink. Even if you are at a bar. You have to take care of yourself. I Know! Later will be too late.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.