Eating issues.... Flare up my symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was wondering what kind of struggles and symptoms you guys experience with eating. I haven't been diagnosed with MD but I am in the process of figuring out what's going on and my doctor has stated he thinks I may have MD. I find that depending on what I eat, I'll get really sick (waking up in the middle of the night super dizzy) but I don't see anything online really about others talking about this. Except that sodium worsens the symptoms as well as caffeine. Can anybody relate to this? And does anyone have any suggestions on how I can eat healthy without worsening my symptoms? I find that if I eat too little, too much, or not the right things then I'm sick.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not had issues with eating per se although I have experience a lot of nausea with MD. Processed meats are definitely out for people with MD as well as foods high in sodium and adding salt to food. Maybe you should try small frequent meals, avoid processed foods and sodium. I also broke from sugared/carbonated drinks like soda and other bottled beverages using mostly water flavored with lemon or lime for a little variety. I am not sure if this will help but keep a food diary, add on a few things at a time and if something bothers you avoid that in the future. Good luck with your health. 
  • Posted

When I was having vertigo, I kept a note of my 'spins' in my diary.  When I was later diagnosed with Meniere's, it all made perfect sense.  My vertigo attacks happened within two days of eating out, when I would have had much more sodium than usual.

I immediately cut the sodium in my diet.  Plus, I cut caffeine too, by only having de-caf tea and coffee and rarely have cola.  Also, I rarely drink alcohol these days, just an odd glass of wine with a meal.

By following this diet, I haven't had vertigo for nearly two years, take no medication,  my hearing is back to 90%, my tinnitus is at a level I don't even notice any more, and have no ear fullness. 

With a low sodium diet, you need to review everything you eat, as salt lurks everywhere.  I cook everything from scratch, so I'm in charge of what I put into my meals, and flavour my food with all sorts of herbs and spices.  I make my own bread, so I can make sure only the minimum amount of salt goes in, and I even make my own soups and baked beans.

I've started eating out again too, but I'm very careful about what I choose, and ask them to not add any salt

I read that it was wise to make sure you get exercise too, so I walk for an hour each day.

The ironic thing is, due to Menieres, I'm now healthier than I've ever been!

I know Meniere's can come back - but for me, watching what I eat got me back to normal

• Posted

I agree. I have MD and 2 nights ago we were out with friends, I drank too much adult beverage and 2 days later, I payed the price. I've not actually vomited with my symptoms yet. But I did last night. I was extremely dizzy. Oddly enough, I had been to my dr last week, and was symptom free. I watch my salt intake like a hawk, but I give myself one cheat a week. I've just decided I'm not doing that anymore. Last night was extremely scarey for me. I'm so happy I've found this site. Not much out there on MD
  • Posted

Hi Sandra,

I find that if I go without meals, or eat and drink too much at once time, it can trigger an attack.  For me, consistency is the thing that helps the most.  I've been off of salt, soda, caffeine and alcohol for about a year now.  And even though I'm on a rather large dose of diuretics, I find that if I guzzle a whole lot of water one day, the next day I will have an episode of Vertigo. So for me...I have to focus on keeping everything moderate and evenly spaced.

Take good care,

J-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.