Eating right, very active, no weight loss?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So for starters, im a 205 pound male, im 5'7. And am pretty muscular. I powerlift 6 days a week and do cardio about 4 days a week. The one day that i dont powerlift is dedicated to cardio. My job is pretty active, im a team lead at a movie theatre and walk all day long. I count my calories and try to eat in between 1300-1700 calories a day. Well i just got a fitbit, and its telling me im burning in between 3500-4500 calories a day (including my bmr). But iv seen no weight loss. Iv been the same activity level and calories intake level for about 3 months now, and still, no weight loss. This makes no sense to me. My calories out is significantly more then calories in. What the deal?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Either fitbit is not calibrated properly/giving you wrong information, or 

your calorie intake is more than 1500-1700. Or you may have a health condition that is keeping your weight high. 

• Posted

I could believe that my fitbit is over shooting. But my calories intake is correct, i gurantee it. I put watever i eat, even if its a single chip, into my fitness pal app. And i estimate up, not down. But i dont have a condition that ik of
    • Posted

You may want a metabolism testing done.  Some people have low basal maetabolism rate. Even without exercise, average people need at least 1000 calories for involuntary needs like respiration, lung and heart functioning, etc. 
    • Posted

Any idea on how much something like that would cost? And how much a medicine to correct said problem would cost?
  • Posted

If you are developing muscle that is replacing fat then since muscle weighs far more than fat you will apparently not lose as much weight. More significant is the measurements at various parts of your body.

And at a guess - either you are significantly underestimating your intake or you are not eating enough. 1300 calories is not very much at all and the human body is quite adept at adjusting its metabolic rate when you try to starve it over a long period of time.

And calories in and calories out is now not considered the best way of achieving weight loss - you might find intermittent fasting of some form works better for you. If you are eating much carbohydrate that may also not help in terms of weight loss - restricted carbs works better.

• Posted

Is it possible that upping my calories count to say 2200-2500 could possibly boost my metablolism and return my body to a normal state?
    • Posted

Possible yes - but I don't KNOW, you would have to try and see how you get on. No-one can know how your body will respond to you increasing your food intake that much - you might gain initially.

• Posted

Well let me try it for a couple weeks, if i dont stop gaining then ill switch back
    • Posted

Have you discussed it all with a trainer or a dietician? 
    • Posted

Not yet. I dont know any dietition or trainers and have yet to reach out and try to find one. This website is my first stop
    • Posted

It is always a good idea to get good advice before dieting and exercising, even talking to your doctor to be sure there isn't a medical reason to be careful about either. And just looking on the internet - even a good site like this, doesn't protect you from bad advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.