EBV blood work interpretation help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey all. Ive been sick with EBV for 2.5 months now.

On 9-1-16 I had an EBV blood panel ran (lab Corp)

My results:

EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG - <9= NEGATIVE

EBV Ab VCA, IgG- 77.6 =POSITIVE (>21.9=positive)

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG <18= NEGATIVE

So does suggest it was my first time contacting EBV? Im 35 years old and have 3 kids! Hard to believe.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynds,

I'm not an exprt on the blood results sorry I can't help you with that, but just want to reassure you that you will recover from glandular fever / mono. It certainly can take a good number of months, and I know it's hard when you are going through it, but don't lose hope and I really do believe that you will get through it and feel better again!

If it's not the first time you've contracted EBV, which may be the case if two of the things are negative (again I really don't know a doctor should be able to tell you), then that's good news too because it means that your recovery will be much quicker.

Remember just give yourself plenty of rest and de-stress, I know that must be hard with three kids of course, but look after your body and work out the things you can do to take it a bit easier and give yourself some 'you' time just to take it a bit easier. Taking vitamins can really really help too, would recommend 1000mg of Vitamin C three times per day, a strong multi-vitamin, a B-complex vitamin and maybe something like siberian ginseng or oregano or echnicea every day too.

Thinking of you and hang in there - you WILL get better even though it might feel like an ongoing slog at the moment.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Craig,Thank you so much for your response. I really hope and pray you are right. Its so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you're right in the middle of it. I've been out of work for over 2 months (I also developed viral thyroiditis and bad hyperthyroid symtoms).  Everyone says, "All of this from JUST mono!" or "Everyone gets sick and tired but they still work". I feel like I'm such a wimp. People think Im over exaggerating or just being lazy. I am trying so hard to get my body back to homeostasis.  

• Posted

Hi Lynds,

Please don't listen to those peope who try to trivialise glandular fever / mono and say you should just get on with it and shake it off and work through it. If only they knew!! It is not like a cold that takes a few days or week to get over, it takes time and you really need to look after yourself. People don't understand because they think you look okay and should just be getting on with things as normal - but don't listen to them listen to your body - you will definitely recover, when I went through it I felt the same and thought I would never recover and have to adapt to a new less active way of life, but in time you will make a marvellous, full and complete recovery - and you will be able to do all the things you enjoy and were able to do before without having to worry about how you are feeling and how you will recover.

Let me reassure you that you're not a wimp in any way, my thoughts would be in no way rush yourself back to work, it still might take a bit of time to get back to yourself and your health is far more important than work (although I know it's very hard so balance everything). I'm afraid sometimes with this it's just about having to let it ride its full course be that a few months or whatever, listen to your body and respond and give yourself plenty of time and space and remove from stressful situations. But also keep a nice balance too, don't stop doing all the things you enjoy, if you can still meet friends or do something that helps you destress that's very very important too!

There definitely will be light at the end of the tunnel, I know it's hard to accept and believe when going through it, but I truly and wholeheartedly believe that you will make a complete and full recovery, without any doubt in my mind, even if it doesn't come right away it will definitely come!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.