EBV no longer detected in blood test, but I still feel sick?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Sorry for all the posts here. Diagnosed 3 months ago, since then I have had headache fever and overall sickness. I still have those symptoms. I had a blood test done at 1 month and one done at 2 months, both confirmed Mono / EBV. I had a blood test done last week and results just came back in, saying EBV was no longer detected... Is it possible to still have a low fever, headache, and most notably itching all over my body, even though the virus is no longer "detected". Also, could the virus now not being detected assure me that I definitely did have Mono, and not something else? Thanks!!!

Thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

what did your doctor say? and seeing as you are still ill are they not testing for anything else ? your doctor should be investingating if you have concerns. the good thing is that you dont seem to have got worse.

it doesnt sound like mono symptoms, maybe your immune system is just on overdrive because it had to fight the virus. in most cases of virsus, their 'symptoms' are actually just our own body's immune response

• Posted

he thinks its just a bad case of mono. ive had a chest x ray that came back normal as well. im seeing a oncologist next week which has made me pretty nervous that its something worse

• Posted

Don't be worried, that's good - because it means the dr is ruling out the main worrying stuff. if you did have something else, i think most likely other symptoms would have come up or the problem would have got worse. dont worry it will all pass

• Posted

Don't think it's possible to have EBV detected and then later it clear away, as you have it for life. They normally test to see if your body is releasing new antibodies to fight the virus. You best double check with your doctor, but what I think it means is your body is no longer fighting the initial stage of the virus. mine showed low positive on VCA IGM, which means the virus is new. They check your blood later on to see if you are still fighting the initial stage.

• Posted

The IGG result shows if you've had the virus.

I'm 8 months in now and hard various tests, albeit my last blood test showed I'm slightly aneamic. But they told me on the outside nothing is wrong with me, but I am suffering from recovering from glandular fever and that body has taken a heavy hit on fighting the virus and it can take some time to fully recover. The same applies for a common cold, even when you start to feel better, it still takes about a week to fully recover.....just EBV is a million times worse

• Posted

yes from what he told me he said one test tests for if it is in the blood at all, and one tests if it is still fighting infection. He did tel me about the 2 tests.

• Posted

im not a doctor but i know most tests show 'past infection ' not sure if thats what you have ... i would talk to your dr. i do know this virus lingers and takes a while to settle down . mine was high but showed 'past infection '

and post as much as you want its like therapy for us to get out all our worries and we're always here to listen .

• Posted

Hi Clayton, im around 18 months and its only ever shown as a past infection for me. It does somehow seem to stay active and evade tests as i had another test a few months that showed it had come back and gone again. Its a sneaky horrible virus! My tests really havent shown anything of note apart from slightly raised liver enzymes in the last few months

• Posted

i have some better days. im still not able to drive or work but my head is slightly clearer than it was. the last few months ive been suffering with terrible pain around my liver, digestive issues and a fuzzy/lightheadedness. oh and terrible anxiety!

• Posted

Hello Clayton,

Please don't apologise for posting on the forum, that's what it's here for!!

I absolutely want to reassure you that this is normal with the blood tests - I had been feeling unwell for a month before I got blood test which diagnosed me with mono. But I had a blood test a couple of months after that and it showed normal again - but I was still feeling just as unwell. And had many more blood tests in the months after that and they showed normal, except for one when liver showed slightly off, but all normal for EBV - just want to reassure you this is normal for mono and it is still the mono and post viral phase from that causing you to feel as you do, it doesn't mean there is anything more serious or sinister going on, it's just the way this virus goes - absolute classic mono this for your blood tests to show normal for EBV at this stage, even though still in the grip of the illness.

I do hope that can put your mind at rest a bit, I worried too about that, but really it is normal and you definitely will get better with time - it's just a time factor with this and even if it takes a little while for full recovery, don't panic because you DEFINITELY will get there! Trusting God with that - he is the great healer.

Craig

• Posted

I just want to add 2 supplements that might help with post viral fatigue. I think after an illness your immune system can become 'autoimmune' so it flares up even though the problem (virus) is no longer a threat. So if that is the case in these scenarios where someone is still feeling unwell after the mono active phase has passed, then some really help supplements that i personally like are Ashwaghanda (this helps to stabalise the adrenal glands - when the body is stressed out coping with repairing itself it can send out too much adrenaline), there is also wobenzym N (this is a systemic enzyme, it thins the blood and generally reduces inflammation in the body, so it stops the body from unecessary over inflaming).

• Posted

I do hope things are more settled for you at the moment Tina and you are seeing some signs of improvement. Goodness I know it is such a long and weary road trying to get over the post-viral fatigue. I just want to reassure again that it does pass and get better over time, and that your full body resilience will return again, even though I know there are days and spells when going through this that is feels that is not going to be the case. But it will Tina and you will get better.

Hoping these supplements can help, if you can find something which just even helps alleviate things a bit and give you a lift mentally and physically can make such a difference. Certainly keeping going with co-enzyme Q10 and B complex vitamins can help with energy levels, and gingko biloba too I think they say can be good for energy levels and brain function. Thinking about you still Tina and hoping your week is good.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.