EBV positive Mono & swollen lymph nodes

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter has been diagnosed with Mono. out of no where she woke up with a swollen lymph node at front if neck under her chin area 3 weeks ago. Mild fever set in 3 days later and was on and off. No fever for last 10 days. Since the 1st swollen node she has gotten 4 more swollen lymph nodes all around the same area/neck behind neck. Dr ordered cbc and that came back normal. Dr originaly thought she had cat scratch fever. They tested her for that and it was negative. He then tested her for typhus and EBV. Finally she came back positive for EBV/Mono. She feels fine overall just fatigued, & headaches. I'm a mom so i made a huge mistake of researching on google. Let me just say that for the past 3 weeks i've been very worried over this. Her nodes are what scares me. The first one that appeared is still there but a little less swollen. As well as the others their size is subsiding just very slow. My main concern are the nodes.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sounds alot like my Mono story. was at work noticed swollen neck nodes then a couple days later the fever and alot of sweating, it took me about a week to find out what was wrong and like you my Mom was concerned about my lymph nodes. Its scary when you don't know whats going on. Took me months for the lymph nodes to settle so don't panic it will be okay, my girlfriend told me when she had it her glands were still bigger then normal a year later, mine took about 4/5 months to be completely gone. everybody is different so be there for her and try not to scare her with your fears

• Posted

I also had mono with the Same symptoms that put me in hospital for 6 weeks because I had (EXTREMELY) rare complications from it. it's normal for them to be swollen for quite a while. they never actually caught mono active in my blood test it just showed ive had mono at some point. and because of that, they wanted to do lymph node biopsy to make sure it wasn't the things you likely came across after googling it 🤣 they couldn't actually get a biopsy of my lymph nodes as when they tried to stick a needle in, it would just bounce off. but by that point they weren't really swollen. basically don't worry about it, if it's really concerning you then go and see a doctor.

• Posted

dont worry thats very common if she rests and takes care of herself she should recover quickly as she is young ..... for the rest of us older folk its more of a journey

• Posted

Hi Maty,

So sorry to hear your daughter has been unwell with mono, really empathising having been through the virus myself in the past and it really is such a horrible experience.

I just want to write to offer reassurance regarding the lymph nodes especially, I went through the same horrible cycle of researching on google and it starting to make you think maybe something else is going on something more worrying - but please please be reassured that this is absolutely very normal to have swollen lymph nodes during mono, particularly during these initial few weeks. I had a particular lymph node in my neck which bothered me so much and they did an ultrasound and it just proved what the doctors thought that it was a 'reactive' lymph node, nothing to worry about just a reaction to this virus and with time it did all settle down, even though it did try to be stubborn and linger for a time.

Also just to reassure you that your daughter will get better, and just to make sure that she gets plenty of rest and doesn't overdo things at this time. A key mistake that I and almost everybody (understandably) makes is to try and 'push through' like they would maybe a cold or a flu, but this virus really does need extended and proper rest and removal of stress as much as possible. So if it means she needs to take time out of school / studies / work / whatever for a time, please do that as it's very important her body gets the time and space it needs to rest and recover.

Also just a word not to panic if recovery isn't immediate, as I say this virus can be stubborn and really knocks your system for six and can take a little time to fully get over the fatigue and horrible symptoms. But absolutely this thing does get better, just important to take care and rest and just cope with one day at a time. It can be so intense the symptoms that it often tricks you into thinking it's something else when in the vast majority of cases it is the mono only, take it as reassuring that the blood test showed EBV as it gives a real explanation as to the cause of this and also remember your daughter will get better with some time truly she will!!

How old is your daughter if you don't mind me asking? I was an adult aged about 25 when I got the virus, things that helped me included taking vitamins and herbs, including a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra which is on sale here in the UK), a B complex vitamin per day and / or Co-enzyme Q10 (great for nervous system and energy levels), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinacea and oregano. But again I'm no expert in these things this is just from my own experience and research and things that helped me, it's always imperative to check for any interactions with other conditions / medications before starting vitamins and herbs, and also to be careful if it is a child or teenager too just to get the right advice / info on this.

Hoping so much your daughter feels much better soon Maty, thinking about you. I believe that God is the great healer, I know it was only down to God that I was able to get over this horrible virus. Your daughter will get over this too with God's help I truly believe that. Just take things one day at a time with this thing, I remember how awful and intense these initial weeks after diagnosis were and how hard getting through each day was. So hang in there, thinking about you and message any time - this forum is a great place for good advice and encouragement some great people with real life experience of the virus on here and who are empathetic and understanding. It's much better that searching google as it's only the scare stories, which are the tiny tiny minority of people with complications, but the vast vast majority of people do recover fully from this virus with a little time and get back to full health again. They say that 90% + of the western world gets infected with EBV at some point in their lives, most as younger children when maybe they don't experience the full effects of the illness as maybe a teenager or adult would, but that the vast majority of these people are fit and well and get over the virus and back to full health - and I believe your daughter will too!

Thinking about you and message any time - it's so hard not to worry and panic with this thing, I went through that terrible cycle myself and I wouldn't wish it only anyone Maty - so hang in there and please be assured that the symptoms you describe are normal for mono and that even though it's a horrible virus and tough right now, things will get better over and with time.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Maty,

I got mono (diagnosed with ebv blood test) in Sept 2018 & I still have swollen lymph nodes.

I had an ultrasound on one of them & was told it was benign & it may never actually go. I then had to visit an ENT recently over a tonsil issue & he did a head & neck exam & said I have multiple swollen nodes in my neck & jaw. He wasnt concerned at all & at that point it had been 6 months since I had the acute symptoms.

Everyone recovers at a different rate. If you are concerned then it may be worth requesting an ultrasound.

Hope your daughter gets over this soon

Gill

• Posted

Hey Gill,

It is good to see a message from you. It must be so frustrating those swollen nodes in your neck and jaw persisting for so long, I had one node in particular in my neck which bothered me for an ongoing period and thanks to God only it did settle down with time and as things started to get better - it was one of the lingering symptoms though maybe one of the last to completely go but just want to encourage and reassure you that these symptoms do go and it can be normal for it to take a bit of time to settle down, and not to panic as things will get better.

I do hope that you are seeing some improvements, hang in there Gill my experience was the first six months were so intense and BY FAR the worst thing, this virus loses its sting as time goes on and hoping and believing that recovery and better times are ahead for you. Hang in there and just one day at a time with this awful virus - you will get there, truly you will.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Good to hear from you! I am pleased to say I am feeling so much better now & almost back to my normal self. The only issues I have now are sore & swollen lymph nodes in my neck that seem to get worse when I'm tired. Also I get fatigued more easily. It's all completely manageable though, I think good sleep is key.

How are you doing? Hope all is well with you?

Gill xx

• Posted

Hi Gill,

So pleased to hear that you have been doing much better lately, it sounds like you have been making real progress and that is fantastic. I remember that even as I started to feel better I still had some bother with lymph nodes, particularly one on one side of my neck, but just to reassure that it does settle down with time, and the fatigue also completely fades with time too. I remember just feeling so relieved when things became more bearable too and started to see some progress, and it will keep coming until you feel fully back to yourself again Gill - hang in there.

I have been doing not too bad either, still had some ups and downs recently but generally things have been more stable and better this year than last, thanks to God only. Just taking things one day at a time still that's all I feel I can do and all any of us can do really.

Good sleep is definitely a great help! Hoping you're managing to sleep well and get rests too in between activities, it's just about building things up over a period of time again, but body resilience and capacity to cope with things do come back with time Gill - so pleased you are seeing improvements!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig, the gland issues are troublesome & they do make me anxious I must admit. Each time I worry about them I try to remember that they're probably doing their job & that's why I feel better in other ways.

Great to hear that things are more stable & better for you Craig & thank you for reaching out & being so lovely as always.

Gill xx

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words Gill, you and everyone on the site have been so helpful to me and encouraged me through so many wobbles and tough times too lately and I'm very grateful for that. As I say just trying to take it one day at a time and remember that Jesus is our good shepherd and grateful that He provides for us daily, even in and through the hardest of times.

Oh I remember being anxious and worried about the swollen gland in my neck in particular which was so irritating and annoying all the time during this virus. It really is normal to have this with glands and the gland in my neck was still quite annoying and painful for a period even after when I was feeling much better generally, it was probably one of the last symptoms to go but it does go Gill please be assured! Of course always wise to check in with the doc if feeling concerned and hoping they can offer some good advice and reassurance.

Still thinking about you and remember you are still going to feel much better than you are now - it is such a frustrating and horrible virus this but with more time you will feel like yourself again. God is the great healer! Hoping for a good day for you Gill and keep in touch!

Craig x

• Posted

thank you all very much for your responses. it makes me feel at ease knowing that others have had her symptoms and the way they appeared. i'm very grateful that so far she has skipped the whole sore throat part. today she dealt with a sort or anxiety/stress attack. i had to pick her up from school this morning and i took her to get checked out to be sure n yeah dr agreed with that too. she's overwhelmed with the fatigue, headaches, & swollen glands along with these next few weeks of testing at school that are crucial for her passing 8th grade. now my kid is super active. she's a great student, cheerleader, plays volleyball, basketball, & runs track. she was so bummed to have to had missed her last 2 track meets. my daughter will be 14 this august so i know, hope, & pray that she will get over this soon. thanks u guys for your time and prayers sent to you all.

• Posted

Hi Maty,

Hope you're daughter is starting to feel better. I too skipped the sore throat part & suffered with anxiety. My advice is lots of water, rest & sleep. During the first few weeks I literally couldn't move out of bed but over time it does get better. A good netflix show & nice books helped me, especially when feeling anxious

Gill xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.