Ebv tonsillitis in toddler

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 2.8 year old son has EBV ( mononucleosis)....He has a very swollen tonsils with some pus, difficulty breathing through his nose and unable to sleep, sleep apnea,fever, puffy eyes, not eating,all his lymph glands are swollen... He is struggling... Anyone with similar experience?? Please share how you pulled through the situation...

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey Joe,

So sorry to hear your son has become unwell with EBV. I am hoping that because he is so young he is not going to experience the symptoms as bad as an adult would and it in the long run may be better for him to contract at a young age rather than when a teenager or adult as a lot of people struggle for an extended period then.

I guess by trying to apply the same things as you would for an adult with the illness is the best approach, trying to make sure he gets plenty / extra rest, keeping him at a good temperature where possible, drinking plenty of fluids, etc. I'm hoping there can be someone out there with experience of successfully treating a youngster with this virus that can offer encouragement and better advice. Really hoping things settle down for him soon and he can really improve and it can take a weight off your mind.

Craig

• Posted

Thankyou Craig...

We are just hoping he gets better.. We are awake all through the night because of his sleep disturbances due to apnea...

• Posted

Really hoping things improve soon Joe, it must be such a strain on you and the whole family too, this virus doesn't last forever though and as a youngster just praying that God can look after Him and bring him back to full health again and safe sound sleep too. Thinking about you and hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Hey joe,

Really sorry that your son has been going through mono, usually very young kids don’t get too sick from it, but it will happen, remember it’s not rare that he has been going through this, as 50% of kids have EBV before they are 5. Most just don’t get the full wack of symptoms. And some don’t get sick at all. But usually very young kids like toddlers make a full comeback much quicker than teens and adults. It will slowly get better, just make sure he doesn’t run around and stuff until he is ready for it because as a very young kid, he will get his hopes up on a good day and try to do to much, especially when time goes on and he sees improvement. I do believe he will be fine, even though this must be so hard on the family right now, remember it will pass for sure, it can take time for fatigue to go away tho. Just try not to worry even though I know this is so hard, as I myself can’t stop worrying about my mono. 

Hoping for improvement soon in your kid, 

-Youngboy

• Posted

Good advice Young Boy smile  we are all thinking about you hang in there

Craig

• Posted

Thanks a lot for that encouragement.... He has started improving.... Am just praying that his twin brother does not get the same from him....
    • Posted

What’s up joe!

Hey I totally see your worry about his twin brother, I would totally worry about it to. I think this could be Very good time for him to learn not to share drinks and food and stuff, as right now because his brother has mono, he can’t share stuff with him. So I would try to keep him away from your sons drinks and food.

But even if he does get infected, chances are he won’t get sick from it as most toddlers don’t, but even if he does it will be easier than if he were to get mono as an adult or teen. 

But it’s best to focus on not exposing him to the virus.

My best wishes for your son, I know what he’s going through, and it sucks that he has to go through this right now, especially at such a young age where his only worries should be falling and scraping a knee, but remember to try to encourage him and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel, and he will become the playful healthy and happy kid again, this virus just takes time, and try to to rush anything to much, hang it there you guys!!

-Youngboy

• Posted

Hi Joe,

That is really good to hear that your son has started improving, remember just take things slowly in his recovery as sometimes it can be up and down for a period getting over this, but really hoping and praying this is the start of him getting back to full health and being an active and happy little boy again. Yes hoping his twin brother steers clear from it, being transferred through salivia it is muich easier than an air-borne virus to keep contained but as Young Boy says just need to watch and avoid sharing things like drinking glasses, cutlery, etc, and just keep them washing their hands and things too all keeping surfaces clean etc.

Hang in there and still believing this hard time for your family will pass, trusting God.

Craig

• Posted

Great advice Craig! Encouraging as always!! Still thinking about your back! Try to keep your head up even though I know It’s so hard. Things will improve for you, so stay strong.

Youngboy

• Posted

Thanks Young Boy I really appreciate your supportive words they mean a lot. Same goes for you just hang in there for now and really hoping that this difficult period you are going through passes soon, praying for God's intervention and help in this situation.

Craig

• Posted

Thought I should share updates with you...

We started treating our son with homeopathy medicines for his condition.... I must say it has worked wonders....

He is feeling much better and has recovered quite well....

• Posted

Hey joe,

Great to hear that. And yes do give more updates. What is he able to do? Is he able to go for long walks and go out with the family without a problem? Just wondering what he is capable of doing right now.  I would say try to keep him away from running for like a few weeks after he is feeling normal because his body is still very young and just dealed with this crazy virus and might not be ready for very strenuous stuff even after he feels normal again for a bit. So take it easy for a few weeks after he feels normal and healthy again. And then have him gradually get into being fully active again. Still thinking about your son! 

Youngboy

• Posted

He is pretty much back to his old self... Just that he tends to get tired a lot quicker....

And yes... The doctor told me that kids recover quite quickly....

• Posted

I’m glad to hear that he is doing well. And yes kids to tend to recover quicker. I would say take it easy for a little bit and don’t have him push way too hard for a few weeks. And he will get over getting tired fast as that is very normal. Anyways I’m glad to hear he is pretty much back to his old self. 

Youngboy

• Posted

Hey Joe,

That is great to hear that your son has been doing a lot better, so glad that the homeopathic treatment has been working - great news. Definitely still be cautious though as recovery can be up and down with this virus, so try not to get him doing too many overly stressful things too soon. Hoping and praying things continue to move in the right direction. 

Young Boy most definitely still thinking about you and believing that breakthrough period is on its way for you, closer than even you think I really believe that - thinking of you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.