ECG

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello smile. I'm a 19 year old female having my first ECG done tomorrow. What should I expect? Will I have to remove my top and bra? If they don't find anything should I say that I get about 8 continuous not normal beats that usually occur in the evening?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

tell them everything, ECG no probs i jusg removed my top.
  • Posted

They will ask you to remove your top and place some stickers around your body including your legs so thay can attach the cables to take the readings. Then the machine will print off a graph of your heart function.

10 minutes, no worries and no you won't have to remove your bra.

A doctor will then read the results and tell you what is going on. Of course you can mention the beats that are worrying you. 

Good luck

• Posted

Here in northern Italy I have to remove my bra as well - there are several leads to be attached and bra straps have a habit of getting in the way, especially if you have underwired bras. 

As debi says, tell them EVERYTHING about your heart rate and symptoms, whether you think it is relevant or not. They may decide to do a 24-hour recording where you have similar leads and a small, mobile phone sized recorder. Or I think the UK has even longer term devices. 

You'll be fine - no need to worry

• Posted

Hi Weeasy

Hi  this is NOT painful at all. You lie on a couch take your blouse/tee shirt off the nurse or who ever does the test places pads on your body. Then they put electrodes ie wires on to the pads NO pain. LAUGH in men with hairy chests they sometimes save chest. Still no pain. 20/30 minutes a reading will come from a printer. ALL the best please come back to me and let me know the results. I have had lots of them

• Posted

Hi Wendy

My eldest daughter was diagnosed with an 'innocent' heart murmour when she was 17. She is now 28, healthy and fit and a member of the Royal Australian Airforce and currently serving in the Middle East.

I would tell the doctor Cardiologist everything so he can make an accurate diagnosis.

The ECG is pretty tame, they just put sticky dots over your chest, side and back and wire these up to the ECG monitor, but yes you will most likely be asked to remove your top and bra. It should be a female nurse that handles the reading, then you will get dressed and go discuss the results with the doctor or cardiologist.

Hopefully all will be fine and a good result should ease your and your parents minds. Best of luck and dont stress too much.

• Posted

Hi Weesay

This was not an easy posting be positive.

ALL the best

• Posted

Thanks all for responses. Feeling a biy nervous today as my heart was going crazy last night and I k or they won't find anything in 1 minute. Could I ask to be put on a 24 hour one?
    • Posted

Yes request a 24hr one then you can record them a lot more

I had a monitor for 14 days too so it is possible to request one for a longer period

• Posted

Hi Weeasy

How did you get on please reply to the discussion group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.